Chapter 11

We don’t know how long we have been here. All we know so far is that we have been staying here for days. Days… We watch how the sun and moon take turns to rise up through the small window in the corner of the room. The beautiful moonlight shining through a beam of light towards us. Waiting for the moment when Athanasia wakes up to give us our punishment. But, if she dares to only punish Cia, then arguments will happen, we were born together and we will die together. 

Sigh, we promise eachother if anything does happen. We will face it together. 

...We are jealous of Athanasia. We don’t say it allowed because we already know that she was the favorite. Even Lily, but we understand. It was our fault that this happened. Our fault that we stayed behind. Our fault to have this fear. Our fault for not being smart like her. 

When maids gossip, they think we don’t understand half of what they are saying. They thought since Athanasia is smart she is the only child intelligent enough to understand their words. So, when they found out that we aren’t as intelligent as her. They gossip as much as they want in front of us. But, we understand. 

It was our fault…. Our fault… 

Staying here had almost become like a routine. We wake up in the morning, eat some type of bread that the guards give us, either stare at the wall or the small window, lunch isn’t given so we either talk about anything, stare at the wall again feeling lifeless, get more bread with little water for dinner, and cuddle each other with one small blanket during the night when we go to sleep. The same thing every day, luckily it wasn’t wintering or we would have frozen to death. 

There seem to be no rats or bugs, another lucky point. All we need to do is wait… and wait. 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-

It was a cold night. I looked beside my sister who snuggled against my stomach. I raised my hand and stroke her long blonde hair. 

Continuing to brush her hair with my fingers I looked back at the cold night sky. After what feels like an hour, I heard footsteps coming from the hallway. I gently woke Cia up as she opened her eyes. 

Just in time we see our papa walking towards us with Felix behind him. 

Why is he here? 

Papa stopped and looked at us behind the cage bars. He didn’t say anything but stare, so we stare back. 

Cia moved away from laying on my stomach to use her hand to rub one of her eyes. She cutely yawned and said, “Daddy…” 

He widens his eyes and then stared at me. So, this is her plan. I raised my hands to use the pick me up motion and said cutely, “Papa…” 

If we use the same action that Athanasia and Jennette use, we have a higher chance to earn his love.

Cia and I gave out our cutest smile with our innocent eyes…. 

We found out that we aren’t afraid of his hands. Remembering back when he pat our heads… it was nice. We didn’t felt the need to run or coward submissively. Instead, we wanted more. 

Papa still continues to look at us, not with his cold eyes as he did in the bedroom. But with eyes that hold interest in us. Are we some kind of animals to him?... Better be cute animals… 

He finally left before snapping his fingers towards Felix. Felix put down a plate that has banana pudding! He moved the plate towards us on the floor, slowly but carefully as if he was holding something valuable. He did open the cage door but didn’t let himself in. As if he knew… He smiled nervously and watch as to how we reach over to grab the plate. 

We were about to eat with our hands but Felix said, “Wait!” We stopped. 

What felt like slow motion, I accidentally drop our plate. 

Everything was so fast the next second, Cia drags me towards the corner of the dungeon. Far away from them.

She guide my head against her neck as she put her head against my neck… Sure Felix is nice but he looks like he can snap a person in half so easily if he wanted to. He had a body that reminds me of Cia’s past life dad. 

DId he said to wait because he wanted us to watch the food and not eat it? Or did he gave it to us for him to have the enjoyment to watch two children eating something other than bread for days. Or does he wanted to see that he did something good and wanted to enjoy the image?... I hate adults...but not Lucas….Or papa…

What we didn’t know was that Felix was about to give us utensils to eat the banana pudding. He stared in shock, he didn’t mean to frighten them. Guilt swells up in his stomach… the one thought that passes through his head were. Oh no, please your majesty. Don’t do anything deranged, they’re just scared children. 

“Hey… I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to frighten you.” Felix still stared at us waiting for at least one of us to look at him. We didn’t. We still huddle in our corner waiting for him to leave. 

He sighed, he uses his gloved hands to go through the gap of the bars to pick up the broken glass plates. When he finished, he went back to see his majesty to tell him what had happened.