Chapter 7

In the beginning, Athanasia gets all the attention by being cute and intelligent. It was never our attention to have people ignore us. We just needed time to get used to the care they are giving us, even if it’s not the best. But we slip our opportunity, and Athanasia won all their hearts. We were second towards everyone’s hearts, even sweet Lily. We couldn’t blame her. She always admires Diana, so of course, she will love Athanasia more for resembling more like mom. 

We can tell before that people didn’t want to get near us. Aster and I had inherited dad cold stare. So that was another reason why we came second towards everyone. Sigh, even though we are triplets... 

Then two years have passed since everyone decided to leave us. It was challenging to get used to things and learn with our tiny hands during the first year. And during the second year, it was more peaceful and comfortable. Lucas has been with us for about a year, and it was enjoyable. He was there when we needed him. He plays with us because he said kids need to have fun once in a while. He will teach us to write and read. He even once turned into his adult form to reach for some apples. 

When he learned our fear of adults, he slowly taught us not to be afraid of his adult form. So, that started with lessons to get used to his adult form. He will be near us, hold hands, pat our heads, and carry us. We even successfully cuddle and sleep with him a couple of times. It was nice. Aster and I have complete confidence in him. It did take a while, but baby steps. 

Plus, once he carried us, Aster said, he acted as if he was holding something fragile and precious. We learn to love his adult form. I guess we quickly felt comfortable because we know he won’t hurt us. 

Right now, the three of us decided to split to look for food. My traps didn’t catch any animals today. I think I need to change some of the traps to different areas in the forest or woods? Whatever part we are in behind the Rudy Palace. Lucas did suggest he can get food anytime, but we wanted some adventure. Secretly, we don’t know where he gets the food, and we don’t want to depend on him all the time entirely. What if he gets in trouble and it’s our fault? We don’t want him to get hurt.

Aster went towards the lake, Lucas went off somewhere, and I went towards the east of the forest. 

I grab my old blue ribbon from my pocket to tie my hair up, so it doesn’t get into my eyes while hunting for animals. While walking, I made sure not to trip any rocks, get bit by a snake, and mark where I’m going so that I don’t get lost. Hunting can be fun but dangerous. 

Some 30 minutes had passed, I found some berry bushes, so I put them inside my pouch that I made out of my old clothes. I still didn’t see any rabbits or foxes. I kept walking further ahead, hoping to find any animals. 

15 minutes had passed, and I heard some ruffling in a bush. I got down low to jump whatever is hiding inside the bush in front of me. When the noises had stopped, I quickly jump inside to hold whatever is in there…. Please don’t be a snake. 

Catching it, I opened my eyes to see what I got. It was a cute wolf pup with blue and black fur, mouth covered in chocolate, and it’s adorable! Wait chocolate….

I looked down on the floor and saw a pile of chocolate. Can baby wolf even eat chocolate? The only wolf to eat sweets is raven-oh. 

I am looking back at the small wolf struggling to get out of my hands. I kept a tight hold for it to not escape from my grasp. I reach down to the floor to grab a hand full of chocolates. 

Okay, I fed raven some and decided to look for the emerald palace. I’m not going in, but I will place raven close by so a maid will notice and pick him up. After feeding some chocolate, the wolf calms down and lets me take them without a struggle. 

But where is the Emerald palace? 

Looking around, I don’t know where to start. Hmmm…

I looked up at the trees, and I got an idea. I placed the wolf inside my shirt and started climbing. When I reached up, I looked around carefully and found the Emerald palace not that far from where I’m standing. I then started to jump carefully from branch to branch, and luckily the trees are close to each other. 

On my last branch, I can see so many pretty flowers. It’s incredible and so beautiful… No wonder Athanasia loves to take walks outside in the garden. 

Amaze by the flowers; I didn’t notice the pup was trying to escape. When I heard my shirt rip a little, I looked down and panic. The pup was halfway escaping, I tried to keep a grasp on raven, but I lost my balance. 

I twist my body so that the pup can fall on top of me. Closing my eyes, I wait for my body to crash against the floor. But instead, I fell hands grasp on my small seven-year-old body. Big hands…. Not the delicate hands Lucas has… But big muscular strong hands… fear stuck me. The icky feeling crept up from my spine, and my breaths started to become loud. No! I can’t panic now! I-I need to run now! 

Big hands…. I remember big hands holding my waist… my legs…. No! I let go of raven and twist around, surprising the person holding me. I looked up and saw red hair before I started to run back into the forest. 

I kept running and running. I didn’t even notice my blue ribbon had slipped away or my hair whipping around getting leaves or small tree branches. I didn’t notice the minor cuts when I run through the trees or anything. The only thing repeating in my mind is to go home… home… not the Rudy palace but with my closest people. 

I stopped to catch my breath and to calm down. Taking big deep breathes, I looked around to find out where I am. I-I think I know where I am. I’m close to the lake. When I’m about to go left, I heard big steps, as if someone is running after me. Oh no!!

I looked around to find someplace to hide. There is nowhere to hide! As the steps kept getting closer and closer, someone grab my waist and pulled me up in the air. I-I didn’t panic this time. I know these hands. I turned around and see Lucas holding me up in the air. Relief and happiness swept over me that he is here. I didn’t look to see who it was that was chasing me, I just put my face against his neck and whisper, “Let’s go, please. Let’s go find Aster.” 

He didn’t speak or say anything. But instead, he rubs one of his hands against my head to comfort me as we flew away to find Aster.