Chapter 5

Chapter 5: Duke Dreux-Soubize

     In this second chance, he would die as an old man happy and satisfied with his life. He wouldn't wallow on his regrets. He was certain that everyone important in his past life would move forward. So, he would also thread forward and live his life. His nephew, niece, and cousin are strong people. He wasn't worried about them. He was certain that they would be accomplished and successful in their dreams.

He would start life again. And this time, he was blessed with the knowledge of his past life.

One thing that he knows upon reincarnation, he knows that he wouldn't be able to act like a normal child. He could only feel sorry and guilty towards his current mother. It was unexpected that his mother would accept his behavior. Raoul was blessed in this life to have a mother like Henriette D'Andresy. She has accepted him despite his unusualness.

So in this life, he would also do his best to ensure that Henriette D'Andresy would live a happy and satisfying life. And every one who would become important to him.

For example, including on those people were the lady Dreux-Soubize and the Duke Dreux-Soubize himself, his uncle.

His crafty and scheming two-faced uncle likes to play with politics and exchange pleasantries with influential people while hiding his real motives behind his deceitful face.

Damn it.

Getting attached to that kind of person will make his hair turn gray at a very young age.

----------------------------

      Raoul Andresy was currently sitting in a chair while he was sipping a coffee. It's been one week since the unexpected visit of Mister Clovis. The Moonlight Maestro of Paris. Known for his bizarre, innovative, and mystical works. A famous rising author and playwright who continuously shine like a star. He keeps going brighter and brighter. Raoul wishes that by helping that man, he hopes that Mister Clovis a supernova, wouldn't become a black hole. Exploding because he was so big and shines so bright that it started hurting everyone. Ending up with negativity and greed. Keep swallowing and swallowing even there wasn't anything to swallow anymore.

He stared at the ticket at the table. Sighing, Raoul would worry about the consequences of helping Mister Clovis in the future. For now, he would be optimistic that Mister Clovis wouldn't abuse the kindness and help that was given to him.

" Dear Raoul, how could you do this to your beloved uncle? Because of you, your mother has blamed me for not taking care of you properly. "

The Duke Dreux-Soubize put a hurt and suffering look on his face. His golden eyes have even let out fake crocodile tears. Duke Dreux-Soubize was a man in his late 30's but despite that, his face and body don't show his age appropriately. The Duke was looking as young as ever. He appears to be in his late 20's.

Living with his mother and previously living in the commune of Dreux with his uncle, Raoul realize that it was in the genes of their bloodline to possess the distinct trait of golden eyes and be blessed with a baby face looks. It was now a strange alternate world he lived in, he wondered if he would see people with strange hair color and eyes that were more eccentric than his golden ones?

After his amusing thought, Raoul stared at his uncle who was wallowing in fake self-pity and accusatory expression.

" It's been a while since I saw you, Uncle. I didn't expect to see you again since you haven't shown your face to us for the last 2 months. "

Raoul smiled at his uncle. He was staring at the Duke gauging his reaction and waiting for his response. Of course, the Duke didn't disappoint his expectations.

" How cruel of you my little nephew! How can you think of me as heartless? Of course, I would immediately head here the moment that your mother demanded my presence. I am a man who cares greatly for his family and relatives. I am very hurt by what are you implying my nephew. "

The Duke has put a very dramatic reaction knowing that it would disgust Raoul. And at the same time make him embarrassed and disappointed that man was his relative.

" Please, stop it. You are very embarrassing. If your 'acquaintances' ever saw your behavior, they would instantly knock you unconscious. "

Raoul paused before saying.

" And you also just implied in your statement that you are scared of Mother. "

The Duke look at the golden tickets laying on the table curiously, but in an instant, the interest disappeared replace by boredom. He then stared at Raoul, his eyes were brimming again with interest.

" It was a good decision to pass the position of being ahead council to your mother. She has become more resilient and beautiful. "

" If aunty heard you say those words, she would become jealous of the mother. "

" From a pampered young lady, a fool in love wife, a broken-hearted mother working hard, accepting and understanding her eccentric son. And finally, a strong and resilient woman brimming with strong will and maturity. Truly beautiful. "

Raoul watched the Duke smile. He would never easily guess what was behind his expressions and smile. His uncle can act goofy or a jester on a court entertaining everyone. He could also be a serious and respectable man. And also a terrifying enemy that you would never want in your life. A man who was capable of different expressions and faces. A natural-born actor. That's what he is. And his uncle would always use that arsenal in politics together with his wits and cunningness.

" And if my beloved Clarisse is here, she would disagree with your words my dear little nephew. As a fellow lover and enthusiast of art, my beautiful loving wife would agree with me. "

Under the Duke's stare, Raoul averted his eyes. It was not because he was feeling guilty of what he said earlier but because the Duke was currently looking at him. It was one of the things that he dislike when interacting with his uncle. A horrible characteristic. Everything that his uncle would find something very interesting. He wouldn't be able to normally hide the obvious hunger in his eyes.

" My little nephew... "

For his uncle, he was the most interesting thing that happened to his life.

" I have finally found the man that you are looking for. Maurice Leblanc– one of many people of your point of interest. And I'm certain that there would be more in the future. "

Raoul watched as the Duke took out an envelope under his coat.

" This is the information that I gathered towards the little boy. And I also prepared an additional gift. "

Raoul accepted the envelope and opened them. Before he can read the file, he saw a picture of a very famous person and there was also a significant place in the corner of the picture. Raoul couldn't stop his hands from shaking. It wasn't from fear. But from happiness and excitement.

" The great doctor's signature. I have pulled a certain few strings just to get it for you little nephew. "

The Duke Dreux-Soubize smiled.

" Since I have fulfilled your request and even given you a surprise gift, then it is now your turn to fulfill the deal, my dear nephew. "

If there were some things that he dislike in this current life, it was to have an uncle some like like Duke Dreux-Soubize. It was only topped by his dislike of his current father, the fact that he was that Arsene Lupin, people not being able to learn and go to school. And finally, the corrupt people in power are only interested in their self benefits and worrying if those horrible things that would happen in the future would still happen in this world.

Raoul was certain that he would have gray hair at a very young age.