Chapter 42

Chapter 42: Changes

Today's house of lords sitting is interesting. Not because of the content of the sitting which consists of mostly questioning the decisions and bills of the house of commons but because of the new member of their peerage.

An honorary... There's never been a precedent. The honorary lord temporal had broken several precedents and inside some of the noble minds, they may have been questioning her majesty's decisions.

Albert revealed a slight smile on his face as he exchange some pleasantries with some nobles before stealing a glance at the young master who was bothered by some of the nobles.

An honorary lord temporal. There may be some thoughts that the new lord temporal may be worth the effort to gain goodwill.

In the house of lords and commons, several parties exist.

Even if it was honorary and a foreigner, some of the nobles are already considering pulling the young master for their self-interest and into their group parties. Even if it was honorary, someone that was appointed by the crown could be put to some use.

Despite being an honorary, the age of this new peer is considered an advantage for the other peers.

The honorary lord temporal is a delectable piece of fruit that everyone wanted to get a hold of. 15 years old... They may expect that the young master is naive, ignorant, and impulsive.

At this age, it was common for those nobles around that age to act within their expectations.

Albert then remembered the letter that was given to his little brother William after they decided to don't bother the young master.

The military director Mycroft advised him to don't bother the young master. And now seeing his presence here in the lord's chamber, it was certain that there was more to this young master.

Don't approach him.

But how could Albert not satiate his curiosity when the young master is the one taking the initiative to approach them of his own volition?

First the letter of invitation for his little brother William.

And now the young master's presence here in the Westminster Palace.

It was difficult to start doing the opposite if this kind of event keeps happening.

--------------------------

Despite Raoul's pathetic and ineffective attempt, Duke Jules Dreux-Soubise wasn't idle. He has gained the group that was responsible for releasing the damning telegram that has made cause to think the Second Emperor that the "French reputation" was trampled in the first place.

The former group was renamed Avenir and his mother was named to be its President. Other than that, his uncle was the one responsible for the bloody week not happening. He has managed to prevent the tension between the government and the commune.

The commune ended up in dissolution peacefully when the third republic decided to agree with some of the requests of the commune.

When Raoul, his aunt, and his mother returned, his uncle Jules Dreux-Soubise wasn't just a leader of the country's secret organization responsible for reconnaissance and anti-reconnaissance of other countries in France. His uncle has also been elected as the Minister of National Education.

But after asking Raoul for his input, a subsidiary position had been formed under the Minister of National Education. His uncle thought that it wouldn't be good for him to be eye-catching.

He doesn't want to risk his secret organization being discovered after all when he was in the spotlight. A new ministry position under the education category was formed.

The Ministry of Higher Education and Research- That was his uncle's position from the start of the year 1875 until the present day. The one who replaced his uncle as the Minister of National Education was easy to manipulate according to his uncle.

With his uncle behind the scenes, over the past years and Raoul's knowledge and input - Raoul was certain that they have ended up changing a lot of things.

The Avenir group has prospered under the hands of his mother and the changes that happened within them. Now, it wasn't just that the group existed in France and Germany. The Avenir group has existed in the United States, Canada, Australia, India, China, Austria-Hungary, Russia, Greece, and Italy.

The only disadvantage since the group has changed was that the branch which was previously existed in the United Kingdom disappeared and his uncle wouldn't disclose the reason behind it.

And now that Raoul was back in Britain again, his uncle wanted him to serve as an intermediary for the establishment of an Avenir Branch in this country.

Sooner or later, Raoul may have a chance to uncover the reason why the previous Avenir Branch disappeared here in this country.

While Raoul was reminiscing and was deep in his thoughts, he heard one of the nobles who approached him earlier asked him in concern.

" Earl Maximilian-Oxford? "

Raoul glance at the middle-aged noble and apologize.

" I apologize. It seems that I am not feeling well. Baron. "

Seeing the Baron and the other nobles who approached him frowning, Raoul knows that he has made a mistake. Heck... He have forgotten the name of the Marquis and the other nobles that approached. But it was better to apologize now and admit his mistake even though he would end up being seen as a joke by the nobles.

Is it alright if he stopped attending in the future? Or just once a month? He was just an honorary... His title was merely useless. But considering the Queen was the one who appointed him, Raoul thought that these nobles were thinking that he could be put to some good use.

But he wouldn't let them do as they please. Before Raoul could apologize, he then notice a person approaching them.

The peer member was eye-catching. The person was around in his twenties possessing brown hair with a side split haircut. The person's emerald green eyes were beautiful and eye-catching. The man is quite a looker and must be popular with the ladies.

After Raoul thought of those, the other nobles then notice the man and they then respectfully greeted the noble.

" Earl Moriarty! ""

But after the greetings of the noble, Raoul who was preparing to greet the man froze in his tracks and glanced at the Earl with surprise.

" Today was the first day of Honorary Lord Temporal Oxford-Maximilian, we must give him a warm welcome but not overwhelm him. "

Earl Moriarty then directed him a warm smile that the former hoped to make Raoul comfortable. But in fact, it has done the opposite. Seeing the smile directed at him, Raoul feels entirely cold all over his body.

Who wouldn't when the Napoleon of crime was smiling at him?