Chapter 18

Chapter 18: Rumors and speculations

       On his uncle's 38th birthday, nobles and bourgeoisie alike attended the celebration. Yet, other than them, there was a group of scholars and maestro's that attended the celebration. This time, to Raoul's surprise, he have seen the faces of Monsieur Clovis and someone who Raoul held special attention on his mind. The current young and clueless son of a wealthy family in Rouen, France. The one and only writer of his supposed to be a story. Monsieur Maurice Le Blanc.

Raoul thought that he should be supposed to be used by his uncle's actions. Whoever has Raoul got interested and someone unknown that he would put his interest, then his uncle the Duke of Dreux-Soubize would find them interesting.

Other than them, there was also his other uncle. His mother's brother Hubert D'Andresy and his cousin whose birthday he has attended last time, Bernard D'Andresy. Raoul was thankful for his uncle's small mercies. He was glad that there was no seeming presence of his despicable father Theophraste Lupin in this place. If he ever found out that he was just in disguise and was hiding among the crowd and making his presence not noticeable, he swear that he would find that man alive and probably gut him once he see his face. Someone like him has no right to attend the celebration.

The party was held in his uncle's current residence. It was in Dreux. Raoul noted that all of the people who attended wore formal attire. It was as to be expected. Nonetheless, the nobles and bourgeoisie must be surprised by the presence of the unusual people in this place. Unlike the usual noble parties, there would be no dancing happening.

There were just discussions, debates, and watching a performance by performers. It was also the reason why must be his uncle invited Monsieur Clovis and his group of performers to this party.

After hours of performances of singing, dancing, and theatrical performances, His uncle finally started addressing all of his guests officially. Thanking them for attending his birthday celebration and saying a bunch of flowery words. At the end of his speech, Raoul didn't expect his uncle to call him and ask him to move beside him forward.

" May I introduce you to everyone, Raoul Dreux-Soubize. One of the joys and treasures of my life. My son and heir. "

With a pat on his shoulder by his uncle, Raoul stepped forward. He smiled at everyone who was staring at him and bowed.

" It was all pleasure to meet Madame and Monsieurs. "

-------------------

   It was interesting that the Duke of Dreux-Soubize has been very active recently. On the noble and bourgeoisie circles alike, it was common for them to think of Duke Dreux-Soubize as someone who doesn't have any power in their country. He was just a mere decoration with the title that he gained from his inheritance.

A guide. An advisor. Someone who the Kings, Emperors, Queen, and Nobilities would listen on their advice. It was a title just useless nowadays.

People in the noble society mostly thought of the Duke as someone useless. A decorative base with no power and respect from the current Emperor. They have expected him to wither in the background and fade away.

Then, he started doing strange actions. Building places of learning, scholarships, and donations to orphanages. How laughable! To throw his money for useless reasons. He would already be losing money if not for the businesses that his wives hold under her hands.

After his 38th birthday celebration, news reached the ears of everyone about the Dreux-Soubize. He introduced someone as his Heir. The Duke Dreux-Soubize was known by some of his reputation other than being seen as a useless guide towards the current Emperor. He wasn't someone who can provide. The Duke Dreux-Soubize wasn't a man who was capable of producing a child. It wasn't within his capabilities. It was always one of the things that were brought up when it comes to Duke Dreux-Soubize.  Despite that, in his birthday celebration, he has introduced someone as his heir and son. Raoul Dreux-Soubize.

Golden eyes and the demeanor that they have seen on the child. It was impossible. Most of the nobles and bourgeoisie people who attended the celebration thought. Yet, the evidence speaks clearly to them.

Various speculations and rumors appeared after the birthday celebration of Duke Dreux-Soubize. One of the speculations was perhaps that the Duke haven't been forthcoming with his life situation. He has been secretive and disclosed for the past few years.

Another rumor has also reached their circles, it was said that before even his birthday celebration, the Duke was seen by some small-time nobles attending his nephew's birthday celebration with his son.

The Duke has been omitting some important things towards the nobles and bourgeoisie for quite some time.

Eventually, the rumors and speculations have run amok for weeks. When the Empress of their country have heard the news and reactions of the most common kind of nobles and bourgeoisie– which was unpleasant and greedy, she only smiled and was looking amused by the rumors that she heard.

Like the various rumors of the reactions of those unpleasant people. For example, she heard things like

“ Madame ———— who first have spread the rumors of when the Duke Dreux-Soubize was incapable has become a target of ire for spreading the rumors in the first place. ”

“ The publishing company ——— who was responsible for publishing an article and the infamous satirical poem of Duke Dreux-Soubize incapability has been facing serious problems. They were in danger of being closed down. "

" Lastly, Monsieur Duke Gramont wasn't glad about the recent rumors flying around the Duke Dreux-Soubize who he considered his rival during their school years together back then. "

The empress smiled faintly before sipping her cup of tea. After that, she glance at the attendants accompanying her in the garden and called one of them.

" What I can do for you empress? "

" Call my son, Lionel. "

It's been a long time since the Duke Dreux-Soubize has been estranged from the Palace, maybe it's time to gain closure again with him. And perhaps, the interesting person that he introduced as his child.