Chapter 22

Chapter 22: The Future Villainess

   At the end of March 1870, Raoul Andresy was once again locked up in his room and writing furiously like there is no tomorrow.

Opening the door to the room of the young monsieur, entering the room, and seeing the scene before him, Francis sighed.

Since attending the birthday celebration of Prince Imperial, something has greatly bothered the young monsieur Raoul to go back on writing again.

Francis can't truly understand and comprehend the behavior of the nephew of Duke Dreux-Soubize. He should be used to the strangeness and eccentricity of Raoul, but since the year 1870 has started, it took a strange and worrying turn.

The first book that his monsieur has ever made. A story about war, death, and the effects of the war on the people. A tale of tragedy, ugliness, and greed.

For a normal child, if they would ever write their own story, Francis thought that it should be about love and happiness. There should be traces of naiveness and ignorance of a child.

But his young monsieur story was different. No innocence could be seen in the story. The story was tainted with sadness and the ugly nature of human beings.

And now, the heir of Duke of Dreux-Soubize was once again starting a new story. Within this new story, the truth and tragedy of war were more horrible and never painted in pretty colors.

Yet, there were more than those factors that Francis was worried about in the story.

[ Kaiser's Descent ]

From the title of the book alone, it would certainly gain infamy from the emperor and those who support him.

-------------------------

       On the birthday celebration of the prince imperial, there was 12 to a 14-year-old girl who was staring at him intensely. At first, Raoul was a bit intimidated by the intense stare of the girl. He never know why would she stare at him like that.

But eventually, he learned that his worries were unfounded, as the girl has just heard the discussion that he had with the childhood friend of the prince.

" Oh, I'm sorry if I have made you uncomfortable with my stare. It was very unbecoming and rude for a young lady like myself. It was just that I heard you two are talking about the various pyramid around the world. I was interested in the cultures of the different countries around the world. "

She apologize to them with a flustered expression on her face. It was clear that she was ashamed of her behavior.

Raoul, upon hearing the sincere apology and her reason decides to invite her to their discussion. It was clear that she was interested in their topic.

" it's okay, there was no need to be worried. I sometimes can't also help but be enthusiastic about things and topics that I am very interested in. "

" Are you also interested in other cultures of the countries? "

" Yes... But other than that, I am an avid enthusiast of history. "

" I see... Then.. "

After that, along with the prince imperial's childhood friend, the 3 of them started chatting with fervent and passion about the cultures, myths, and history.

While engrossed on the topics, Raoul and Louis Conneau forgot to introduce themselves to the young lady. And in turn, the young lady has forgotten to introduce herself to them.

Upon their discussion, the two of them discovered that she was a foreign noble. Specifically, she was the daughter of a noble in Italy. The information has surprised Raoul since she speaks fluently in the French Language.

For Louis Conneau, he informed Raoul that it wasn't unusual to have foreign representatives attend the celebration. Years ago, Raoul was told about the story where nobles from Spain, Austria, and even a certain Prussian General has attended the celebration of the emperor during the year of the early 1860s.

Raoul couldn't help but grimace a little bit. But thankfully, none of his two conversations have noticed.

Eventually, the conversation that was full of fervent passion must end when Prince Imperial Lionel has arrived. The trio part ways and Raoul went to find his uncle at the celebration so that he and the Duke could greet the prince together and give their gifts.

It was what his uncle have told him that they must do together. Raoul huffed in his mind at that time when he heard Duke Dreux-Soubize telling him that. He can't be bothered by what was ongoing on his uncle's mind and whatever political maneuver was he going to pull at this birthday celebration of Prince Imperial.

When the celebration eventually ended and it was time for Raoul to return to Soubize, He has encountered the young lady again. But at that time, she was accompanied by an older noble lady, who may have been her mother.

Together with the noble lady, they approached Raoul and his uncle on their way out of the Tuileries Palace.

" Oh, it's been a long time since I have seen you, Duke. Are you going away without bothering to greet me? "

Her words, despite how sweet sounded it is, was honey-coated in venom. Raoul could sense the hostility behind the friendly smile of the noble lady.

" Countess, forgive my rudeness, but I must hurry and have no interest in having some useless pleasantries with you. "

For the first time, Raoul didn't expect his uncle to be so rude to someone. He wondered what is going on behind the history of this Countess and his uncle. He even wondered if this Countess was some ex-girlfriend before his Uncle has met his Aunt.

" As rude as ever Duke, but I am not here to have some pleasantries with someone who dares to pry with others' business. "

" hmmm... What is this business that you are talking about, Countess? "

" So that was the game that you wanted to play, Duke? Feign ignorance to prying on others people's business. I dislike how you have sent some irritating thief on my field and who bothered my daughter for while. "

" I am sorry Countess Cagliostro, I apologize that I don't know what you are talking about. "

Upon hearing the identity of the Countess, Raoul was shocked inside his mind as he stared at the fuming Countess and her daughter who look like she wanted to get away from this drama.

After that, the Duke Dreux-Soubize and the current Countess of Cagliostro parted on negative terms but not before the countess threatened the Duke.

" Don't interfere with my plans, Jules. "

" And what, Jeopardize your country for your family's ambitions? "

" You would never like what would happen if you interfere. "

As they parted ways, Raoul realize that both the Countess and her daughter has crimson eyes.

" Josephine! "

" Yes, mother... "

He also realizes that the daughter of the current Countess Cagliostro, the one with who he enthusiastically chatted about history and cultures was Arsene Lupin's fated antagonist.

The infamous villainess of the story, Countess Cagliostro.