Chapter 9

Chapter 9: Meeting one of the future rivals

      When they arrive at the Andresy Manor of his mother's elder brother, Raoul looks at his uncle suspiciously.

The Duke Dreux-Soubize stared at him with a faux innocent look. He has even the guts to pretend that nothing is wrong and everything is normal as it should be.

" What's wrong my little nephew? Are you nervous about the birthday celebration? "

Raoul scowled. He ignored his uncle as he look around the place. From the distance, he could already see that several people are looking around at the guest with watchful and discerning eyes. All of them were wearing the same cut of clothes. To show their association and uniformity to each other.

Gendarmerie– A military institution that was responsible for the public safety of the people. They were also known as the police force of France.

" I thought that this is a normal birthday celebration. Why is there many Gendarmerie here? It was like that a crime scene has happened here due to how tight their security here and some of them are looking at us. Is there something that you aren't telling me, uncle? "

His uncle stared at Raoul for a moment before shrugging his shoulders.

" I don't know. I am just a normal affluent man. It's been a long time since I last talk to your other uncle, so I am ignorant of his matters. "

Raoul narrowed his eyes under the smiling expression of his uncle. He didn't believe in his words. All of the things that just have come out of his mouth were lies. How come a man responsible for some matters of the country and a trusted subordinate or the second emperor doesn't know of some matters in their country?

As Raoul and his uncle gets closer and closer to the manor, one of the Gendarmerie approached them. Raoul looks at the man.. or should he say, a young man that approached them. He was looking at his uncle with a stern expression on his face. He was probably trying to intimidate his uncle. But Raoul knows that it wouldn't affect his uncle in any way.

" Good day Monsieur, could you let me see your letter of invitation together with your child? "

Raoul sputtered as he heard those words. He stared at his uncle who started to look amused. Like a cat threaten its canary. Or a fish. Something like that.

" Here. "

His uncle showed the invitation letter to the young man. The young man look at it for a few moments, before his expression eased.

" Pardon for the trouble that I have caused, Duke Dreux-Soubize. I am sorry if I may have disrespected you Monsieur, but I am doing my job and responsibility. "

" Well, no need to feel troubled. I am glad that the police are taking severe precautionary measures on my nephew's birthday celebration. "

A warm smile was revealed to the young man.

" We, the Gendarmerie swore that we would do our best to ensure the security of the citizens. Bourgeois, noble and normal citizens alike. "

The Duke Dreux-Soubize looks at the young man with amusement. Under Raoul's curious and piqued expression, the Duke asked the name of the young man.

" With certainty, I can see a brilliant future for you. I can feel at ease that this country has outstanding police like you. May I ask your name young man? "

The young man revealed a flustered expression on his face for a moment. He was probably embarrassed since he was complimented. A few moments passed before the young man revealed his name.

" My name is Justin, Monsieur. " The young Gendarmerie paused before he continued saying his name. "... Justin Ganimard. "

When Raoul heard the name, he couldn't but flinch. It was like that he was struck with a bolt of lightning. Raoul flickered his eyes at the young policeman. No way in hell. He thought. what are the chances that this guy and that guy are the same? Since this is the world where fictional Characters exist, Raoul was certain that the chance is 100%.

This young policeman is the same as Justin Ganimard. A character in Maurice Leblanc's story and series of Gentleman Thief Arsene Lupin. Justin Ganimard is one of Arsene Lupin's future rivals. A great and determined police inspector that wouldn't stop his pursuit and arrest of the Gentleman Thief. The head of the Lupin Task Force. He was also a recurring character in the story.

Raoul stared at the young man. On this day, he didn't expect to him. Despite knowing that he was occupying and has been reincarnated as the protagonist of a certain story, Raoul wanted to be different from 'Arsene Lupin'. He has no desire to become a thief. Stealing things is still a crime no matter how you look at it. Whether the one who stole them made to steal things in a flashy and thrilling way.

Raoul was different from the character. But looks like, some things were inevitable. For example, meeting Justin Ganimard. Raoul couldn't help but stare at the young man. From the story, he knows that Inspector Ganimard was at the age of a middle-aged man. Now, meeting him for the first time, he was so young. And it seems that he was still new to his job.

" So, Justin... "

Raoul's eyes flickered and his drifting mind instantly focused on his uncle when he heard his voice.

" May I ask, why the security is so tight on the day of my nephew Bernard's birthday celebration? "

Justin Ganimard looks at the Dreux-Soubize with hesitation. But after thinking of it, he decided to reveal information.

" The Andresy have received a threat from an unknown person. He left a card that has a message that indicated “ Today, I would take the most important and precious treasure of the noble house of the Andresy. ” "

Raoul felt like choking when he heard the words. Say what? Everything feels like fate. How could it be? He was supposed to be the future gentleman thief? Since when there was a one.

Unknown to Raoul who was deep in thought. His uncle's gaze flickered on him for a moment before a slight smirk adorned his face for a moment. The Duke Dreux-Soubize then started speaking.

" Thank you for the information Justin Ganimard. "

Justin Ganimard nodded his head and smiled. He then left a few words to them before going to the other guests.

" Please be careful on your way, Monsieur Dreux-Soubize. "