S1 E5 : "Cinnamon's Wake" (Part 1)

"So where'd you say dad was?" Mom asked Grandma. We are at Friday Night dinner after a long week of school, but finally one last thing before the weekend.

I was wearing a dark blue dress that had lace at the top and some black heels, while Rory was wearing a red dress with sleeves and mom a blue blouse and a nice skirt.

"Away on business." Grandma answered mom's question. "Locations top-secret?" Mom pushed for a more specific answer.

"Oh, Germany." Grandma told her. "Germany. Is dad's firm insuring Nazis now?" Lorelai tried to joke. "Your father doesn't know any Nazis." Grandma said, not getting that it was a joke.

"I know mom. I was just-" Mom started before shaking her head. "What?" Grandma questioned.

"Joking." I finished as I put my fork down on my plate. "She was joking." Rory added. "Oh, hard to tell." She commented. "Yeah, well." Mom acknowledged.

"Oh, I'm afraid I have some bad news." Grandma started, "Claudia died." "Who?" Mom asked, clearly confused.

"Claudia your cousin." Grandma evaluated, while mom just sat there with a blank expression on her face. "Claudia!" Grandma exclaimed.

"I'm hearing the name. I have no idea who that is." Mom shrugged. "Claudia's your cousin, for all intents and purposes." Grandma informed.

"Oh, now we're gettin' into it." Mom said as if she finally understood. "She was your father's grandmother's sister's girl." Grandma told her, "So to you that would make her-"

"Nothing?" Mom interrupted Grandma. "Regardless, the funeral's on Thursday. I thought we'd all go together" Grandma said as she dismissed the fact that we didn't even know this person.

"Two problems." Mom started, "One, impossible for me to get away from the Inn on Thursday. Two, I've never met this woman."

"You must certainly have." Grandma almost sounded offended. "When?" Mom challenged. "Several times." Grandma answered vaguely.

"I'll take one." Mom wanted more. "We went to her house to see the first moon landing. She'd just gotten a new philco." Grandma thought of a very odd answer.

"I have no memory of this whatsoever." Lorelai thought aloud. "Girls, correct me if I'm wrong. Men have walked on the moon, regardless of whether your mother remembers or not." Grandma spoke to Rory and I.

"That's the rumor." Rory answered looking over at mom.

"I know that. I just don't know Claudia." Mom smiled. "So you're not going?" Grandma asked.
"Not this time." She shook her head no.

"I don't think Claudia's planning to die a second time." Grandma said, which made me and Rory chuckle a bit.

"Mom, I couldn't go even if I wanted to." Mom told Grandma. "Fine." Grandma replied as she took a sip of her wine then put it back down.