S1 E9 : "The Dance" (Part 1)

It was Friday night, which as always meant Friday night dinner. So here we are, Mom, Rory, Grandma and I all sat around the dinner table, eating some fancy dish that I have yet to decipher, but that also means I probably don't wanna know what it is. Grandpa wasn't here because he was out on some business trip.

Lucky man, lucky man

"Your grandfather called last night and told me to let you know he is bringing you back something special from Prague." Grandma started.

"Wow, Prague. How amazing is it that he is in Prague?" Rory questions in awe of what Grandpa does. I mean I am too. Who wouldn't love to travel around the world while you worked. It sounded like a dream.

"It's supposed to be lovely, very dramatic castles everywhere." Grandma continues to tease us. Rory and I looked at each other with a smile, knowing we were picturing traveling the world.

"Did you know that the cell that Vaclav Havel was held in is now a hostel?" I added unneeded fact, but I thought it was interesting, "You can stay there for like $50 a night." I continued as Grandma nodded her head.

I looked at mom to see that she was uninterested and playing with her food down in front of her. "Hey maybe on our trip to Europe we could stay in his cell?" I put out a proposition. Rory was quick to agree with me by nodding her head.

"Absolutely. Then we should go to Turkey and stay in that place from 'Midnight Express.'" She was quick to disregard, taking the fun out of the conversation.

"Lorelai, what are you doing?" Grandma was quick to ask, seeing that same thing I was.

"Getting rid of the avocado." Mom answered, taking a break from her food and looking up at mom.

"Since when do you not like avocados?" Grandma questioned.

"Since the day I said, 'Gross. What is this?' And you said, 'Avocado.'" Mom narrated her answer for us.

Grandma was quick to ignore mom, "I'm focusing on you two now." She said as her eyes flickered between me and Rory, before taking another bite of her food, "Tell me all about the Chilton formal next week." Grandma insisted.

Uh oh

Rory and I had talked about the formal, but neither of us really seemed up to it. First, formal dances and school events weren't really Rory's thing and I don't have friends at Chilton except Rory, so if she decides she's not going then I'm not.

Secondly, I would have to ask Justin to go with me to the Chilton dance, which would mean Tristan would be there. I really did not want those two to interact until I figured out one-hundred percent what I was feeling. I couldn't get what Katie had said out of my mind, "If he's just a friend, then why bring him up now?"

Like I get what she is saying, why would I bring up an unimportant person during the very little time we hang out together. I should be talking about Justin or Rory, even my mother, but instead I wanted to tell them about Tristan.

I wanted to tell them about him and I at my party. I wanted to tell them about how he makes me laugh. I wanted to tell them about his perfect brown eyes and playful smirk. But what does all this even mean? Does it mean that I like him? But I can't like, like him when I've admitted to myself that I love Justin, can I? Either way, that is the main reason that I'm not going.

All of that aside, since Rory and I weren't going to the dance, we hadn't said anything to mom.

"There's a formal?" Mom was quick to ask, her head shooting up from her plate to look at Rory and I.

"How do you know about that?" Rory questioned, annoyed that she had brought it up.

"Yeah, how do you know?" Mom also asked, focusing on Grandma.