S1 E7 : "Kiss and Tell" (Part 2)

Rory and I had gotten to the video store just in time to rent out 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.' We turned the corner to see mom heading our way.

"You get it?" She asked. "Got it!" I exclaimed as I held up the bag for proof.

"On the one hand, I'm glad it was in, but on the other, what world do we live in where no one has rented 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'?" Lorelai started one of her pointless rants.

"Well we rented it." Rory commented. "Thank god for us!" Mom praised.

"Hey, I invited your friend over to watch it with us." Mom looked over at Rory as we walked down the street. "What friend?" Rory questioned.

"Dean." Mom shortly answered. Both mine and Rory's eyes went wide as we stared at mom.

Big mistake

"What?" Rory questioned as we stopped walking. "Yeah, I told him what we were doing tonight and he was totally into it." Mom explained as if she was oblivious to the situation she had just put Rory in.

My sister just got set up by our MOTHER

"So. Why are you looking at me like that?" Mom trailed off once she noticed our expressions.

"You invited Dean." I pointed out the obvious, "To our house?" I also added.

"Yes." Mom dragged out, unsure if that was the right answer and I can assure you, it was not.

"Are you crazy!" Rory finally pitched in. "Why are you mad?" Mom asked, still unsure of what she did wrong.

"Because we haven't even been on a date by ourselves yet. My first date with Dean's gonna be with my mother and sister? What is wrong with you?" Rory exclaimed as she made it known that she was mad and did not want this night to happen.

"I-I'm sorry. I thought you would be happy about this." Mom forced a smile as she tried to talk it through with her.

"In what universe would I be happy?" Rory asked a rhetorical question, "This isn't Amish country. Girls and boys usually date alone."

"I didn't think of it as a date, I thought of it more as a hangout session." Mom tried to make the situation better.

"Well, I don't want our first hanging-out session to be with my mother either." She complained, but in my opinion has every right to.

If mom had set me up on my first 'date' with Justin it would have been a little more than just awkward.

"Stop saying 'mother' like that." Mom slightly scolded Rory. "Like what?" She questioned. "Like there's supposed to be another word after it." Lorelai explained with raised eyebrows. Rory took a deep breath.

"I can't believe you did this. I'm so humiliated." She said as she started walking again.

"What? You're totally overreacting." Mom said to Rory as she looked at me. I just gave her a slight shrug and scrunched my nose a little, "She kinda has a point." I mumbled.

Mom shook her head before looking back at Rory, "I invited him to a movie and pizza, not to Niagara Falls." Mom sneered at Rory.

"He's the boy that I like." Rory stated as she turned back to mom and I. "I know, I looked for one that you hated, but it was really short notice." Mom teased, somehow in a serious tone.

"And now he's forced to come and sit with me, my mother and sister and eat crap and watch a movie?" Rory complained, not in the mood for mom's comments.

"Well, I just invited a friend of yours to hang out." Mom defended herself, "What's the big deal? What if Lane had done it?" She asked as her eyes jumped from Rory to me then back to Rory.