• CURRENTS •

Marley sat at a circular table that was blanketed with a white sheet. The restaurant was dark, lit with only a few candles and the eclectic fire place. Marley brushed her dark blue floral skirt and fiddled with her necklace that sat on her white polo shirt. She shared an awkward glance with her brother. It wouldn't have been as bad if the table was rectangular, but meeting your mums boyfriend on a circle table was horrible.

"So Marley, you're mum tells me that you do ballet," David said, twisting his fork nervously. David was a tall, dark man with a shaven beard. Wherever Marley's mum found this one, it was most definitely not at another nightclub.

"Uh, yeah, I use to. But I stopped about a year ago," Marley said in her 'nice' voice. She glanced up at David but kept her eye level low.

"I didn't know you quit ballet," Marley's mum said, a sweet and sour tinge to voice.

"Yeah, well you wouldn't," Marley mumbled. Her mum never really tried to make conversation about Marley's hobbies. She barley even knew about her social anxiety because she was too worried about the divorce with Marley's dad.

The table was silent again, the only sound from the clanking of cutlery around them. Then David spoke up again. "Liam, how's lacrosse going?"

It was no doubt that Marley's brother, Liam, was gifted at lacrosse. Their father had coached the kids team years ago, starting off Liam's love of the sport. They played together almost everyday as a way to get all of his anger out. Marley had ballet, Liam had lacrosse. The siblings were so different, but so alike. They even looked similar, with the same nose, same rosy cheeks, and doe looking baby faces.

"Devenforth has the best lacrosse team, so it was pretty awesome when I made first line. Especially as a freshman," Liam said, looking up slightly. Marley low-key wanted Liam to go to Beacon Hills with her, just for the satisfaction of annoying him when passing through the halls. But Devenforth was better for his needs, with a IED intervention and the incredible lacrosse team that always beat the crap out of Beacon Hills.

"Hey that's great, good job son!" David said, making both Liam's and Marley's hearts drop. It felt wrong for someone other than their father to call Liam son. "Your mum promised that I can come to your next game."

"Marley's boyfriend also plays lacrosse," Liam said, making Marley kick his leg from under the table. She leant towards him.

"Dude, shut up," she whispered to him.

"At Devenforth?" David asked. Marley flicked the hair out of her face and sat back up.

"No. No, at Beacon Hills," Marley said, sucking her lips into a smile. If they weren't out in public, she would have slapped Liam one.

"You have a boyfriend, Marley?" Her mum asked, sounding more confused than surprised. Marley was slightly offended that her own mother didn't expect her to have a boyfriend. "Who is he?"

"No one." "Isaac." Marley and Liam said at the same time. She closed her eyes and counted down from three, an exercise she was taught in anger management. Marley wasn't planing on telling her mum about Isaac, 1. Because she would have to have the lecture about how they were such cute friends and everyone knew they would get together, 2. She didn't care about anything else in Marley life, why would she care about her boyfriend? The only reason Liam knew was because he walked in on them making out.

"Isaac? As in, tall, shy, Isaac?" Her mother asked. "What's his last name again? La- Li-"

"Lahey," Marley sighed. They had lived next door to the Laheys for about nine years just before the house was sold, and her mum still couldn't remember their name.