• ILLUMINATED •

"Open the door!"

"Come on, Isaac!"

"Isaac, open up!"

Marley had had enough. The door wouldn't budge and she needed to get to her boyfriend. She lifted her foot and kicked the door just next to the handle all of three times before it cracked open. Isaac lay in the middle of the room on his side, his fists clenched tightly, and shaking violently. Marley and Allison ran to him, Marley putting her hand on his arm. She recoiled.

"He's freezing," Marley said. Allison touched his wrist gently.

"Dad, he's freezing," she said, looking up at her father. Marley put her hand at the back of Isaac's neck and tried to turn his head towards her. Chris got down to his knees and tried to grab Isaac's face.

"Isaac, look at me," Chris said, pulling Isaac's face again after her shook out of Chris's gasp. "Isaac."

"What's happening to him?" Allison asked. Marley kept a hand firmly on Isaac's arm for she had no idea what to do. She had dealt with multiple of her families seizures, due to having an epileptic cousin, but this was nothing like it.

"Isaac, come on. Isaac, listen. You have to turn. Look at me. You need to trigger it," Chris said. He pulled pack his hand and struck him round the face. Marley gasped. "Come on. Turn! Turn!"

Chris slapped Isaac twice more, each time, Marley felt sick, until he clenched his fist and punched him in his jaw. Isaac breathed in dramatically and jumped back, his back hitting the end of Allison's bed. They watched as his eyes faded from yellow to blue.

"Did you see them?" Isaac asked quietly. A tear rolled down his cheek as he hoped for someone to believe him. Subconsciously, he moved his hand and placed it heavily it on Marley's shoulder, his fingers creeping up his neck. He tried desperately to find her pulse through his touch. Her heart beat.

"Who?" Allison asked.

"One of them... I could see his eyes. They were greenish-yellow. Like a...," Isaac trailed off, his voice sore. "Like a firefly."

"Security system wasn't triggered," Chris said, standing up and moving over to the door. He looked more shaken up than Marley had ever seen him. Isaac tried to breathe in time to Marley's heart beat under his fingers, but he couldn't. She noticed this and carefully moved his hand down to rest over her left chest. Isaac stared at his hand, now feeling a clear rhythm. His own pulse repeated it.

"The how did they get in?" Marley asked.

"They didn't. It was like they came out of the shadows," Isaac said. Chris reacted badly to this; everyone could tell. He rubbed his face and paced back and forth.

"Do you know what that means?" Allison asked. "Dad?"

"Um... I'm not sure. Listen, the three of you... I need you to keep this quiet for a few hours," Chris said nervously. Marley thought it was ridiculous. He boyfriend was as cold as ice and he wanted them to stay quiet about it? No sir.

"From everyone?" Isaac asked.

"Just for twenty four hours."

"That's bullshit, they could have killed him," Marley said vigorously. She didn't mean to curse in front of an authorities figure, especially not someone with the power to take away her daggers, but it just slipped out.

"But they didn't. And I think there's a reason why. I think they might have been after me."

...

"You're okay now though, right?" Marley asked as she walked hand in hand with Isaac through the school halls. "No temperature or anything?"

"Marley, I have the supernatural ability to heal. I'm sure a common cold can't hurt me," Isaac said, reassuring her for the fifth time since they arrived at school. "Changing the subject because this one is way to sensitive on a Tuesday morning, we are going out tonight."