Softcore

request-FreyaSmxth24 ❤️

this is mia's first moth as an intern at GSMH, she's working on derek's service this week. they are looking at scans of a tumor. "eight surgeons have said that this is inoperable. i mean even the tumor board at cleveland clinic" mia says. "well i can see why... catch" derek throws a coin at mia. mia catches it and is confused. "whats this for?" mia asks. "heads we do it, tails we don't" derek says. "you're insane!" mia laughs. "its a gut check, i get a feeling when its in the air, what i want it to land on. flip it!" derek says. mia chuckles and then flips it and it lands on heads. they later meet up with a little boy and his mom.

"his neuroblastoma is more complicated than most i've seen, its very rare that someone his age.." derek says. "they're mostly in younger kids, i know" the mother says. "its in a very large region of his spine, there is the very likely risk of paralysis.." derek explains with hand gestures. "from his upper body down, there's also the risk of death. a death that he is going to meet in three months anyway if you don't do this surgery, i understand the risks doctor shepherd" the mother says and derek nods. "the surgeon in boston compared it to dismantling a bomb with your eyes closed, and the one in chicago said it was patching a dam with gum. you're the ninth surgeon i've talked to, so what i want to know is are you gonna say anything different, or do i have to take my kid somewhere else?" the mother asks. derek sighs. "there is only a 5% chance of success, maybe a little less. yes if you're willing i'll try" derek says and the mom hugs him. mia smiles. they stop hugging. "ok should i go tell wes?" derek asks ready to go. "wait there's something else.... he-he doesn't know about his tumor, hes 11, a young 11, and knowing that he's very likely gonna die is not something thats gonna do him any good" the mother says nervously. "why-why does he think he's here?" derek asks. "a backache, a very bad backache" the mother explains. mia and derek get emotional and are in disbelief.

a few minutes later......

"fort ticonderoga is probably my favourite. it's not giant like gettysburg or famous like the alamo" the boy wes says and mia is interested. derek is checking his reflexes. "you feel any pain here wes?" derek asks "mm. a little. still it was a really important fort, it changed hands a bunch of times in just a few years. benedict arnold even fought there" wes says. "he's got a thing about battlefields" wes's mother says. "i see that, hey relax" derek says, checking his leg reflexes. "my mom says i get it from my dad. he died when i was 12. we've gone to 18 battlefields in the past year!" wes exclaims. "we homeschool because of the back pain" the mom says and mia feels bad." its so cool, i wake up and we get to decide what i do that day! next week we're going to pearl harbor. that way, my mom can have a beach vacation, too" wes says. "actually wes, we may be postponing hawaii. doctor shepherd thinks he might be able to fix your back" the mom explains. "really? then i won't have these aches anymore?" wes smiles happily. "well thats the plan" derek replies.

minutes later.....

mia takes wes for his scans. "you got it?" mia helps wes into a wheelchair after taking his scans. "okay, here we go" mia says while covering wes with a sheet so he is comfortable. mia is getting ready to wheel him out of the room. "did the tumor grow more?" wes asks. mia is in complete disbelief and is shocked. "what did you say?!" mia said. "I know what I have. I overheard some doctors talking about it at the last hospital..." wes says and mia interrupts. "does your mom know that you know?" she asks. "no she'd just freak out!" wes says. "she's your mom. she needs to know!" mia says trying to convince wes. "she cries in the bathroom, she cries at night, she cries in the morning when she thinks I'm not awake yet. she cries all the time and the only thing that makes her happy is to think that I don't know, but you can't tell her! if I'm happy, she's happy" wes begs. "i promise, I won't tell" mia nods. "you're not lying?" wes asks. "I'm not lying" mia smiles and tears come down her face. "do you think I'm gonna die?" he asks. mia bends down to meet wes at his eye level. "I've known doctor shepherd for a while now because he's my dad, but your mom could not have picked a better doctor for you, he's the best!" mia chuckles.