Compass

mia is 17 and in high school. derek died when she was 12. she's been helping her mom with the kids and trying to be a good role model for them. mia looked up to alex and owen as a father figure since her dad was gone. she had grown close with them. she's been working so hard in school and meredith is so proud of her, she knew derek would be too. she went to a concert with her friends to go see the neighborhood. it was her favourite artist. she begged mer to go and she helped out around the house. she was on her way home from the concert and it was around 7 pm.

she was with her friends ruby and catherine. they were walking across the street. the light was green and they were allowed to cross. mia was pulling out her phone to call her mom. "hey mom im on my way home now, you wanna watch a movie later?" mia asked. "sure sweetie, how was the concert?"mer asked. "it was great, i caught a t-shirt and...." her voice was cut off the phone. "mia? hello? mia? mia are you there?!" the call disconnected. mia was struck by a sports car that was speeding. ruby and catherine screamed. "mia! somebody help please! someone call 911!" they yelled. all of the cars stopped immediately, trying to help. mia was unconscious. after a couple of minutes, an ambulance showed up, and the girls rode in the back with her. "mia, please don't die, please" ruby pleaded. "take her to grey-sloan memorial now!" catherine yelled at the paramedics. "call her mom quickly!" ruby said. catherine called mer and spoke to her over the phone. "hey mrs. grey? it's catherine we need you to get to the hospital as fast as you can please, it's mia, she was ran over!" cath sniffled. "oh my god, ok yeah im on my way" mer said and her heart was breaking. she couldn't lose mia, if she lost mia then that was it for her. mia was her better half since derek died.

derek always said that mia was different, she wasn't like other girls. she was unique, she always knew how to make someone feel better, she was that person that would give you the last cookie, even if she hated your guts, mia was the sweetest person in the world. she was incredibly smart too, all of the shepherds were.

while she was unconscious she was dreaming about being on the beach. she loved going there as a kid, but the family hadn't really gone there since derek died, it was their special place, their hideaway. "mia! mia!" a voice yelled from across the ocean. mia was confused. who else would be on this beach? there were hands waving from far away. mia couldn't breathe, she recognized a familiar face right away. "dad? what're you doing here?" mia asked. "i could ask you the same thing!" he smiled. she tried walking towards him but he kept on moving father away.

"why can't i get anywhere!" she exclaimed. " you're worried about mom. the sand isn't real sweetie. i can't help you, it's your beach, you just have to relax, just breathe" derek said in a calming voice. "we miss you so much" mia pleads. "i know" derek nods. she squints her eyes really hard, trying to relax so that he comes to her. "what is that, what is this face" derek mocks her and scrunches up his face. "would you start a solo with that face?" he asks. "no" mia chuckles. "no, you would relax" derek says watching her. "she closes her eyes again. "okay, okay" she breathes deeply and tries her best to focus.

"get a head ct and page koracick now!" meredith yelled while they wheeled mia into the hospital. "baby you're strong okay, you're gonna be fine" mer kissed her head. a bunch of the doctors saw what was happening. "mer you can't be here, someone get her out of here" teddy says and alex takes her away. "no please i need to be with her, please" mer cries. "shh, shh, she's gonna be alright, she's a fighter, she's always been" alex says as they take mia into a private trauma room. mia opens her eyes and sees that derek has moved closer, it's working.