Bad Partner | The Life Of Mia Grey-Shepherd

Description: Nick helps Mia through a rough patch and uncovers a dark secret.

A/N: Okay so I've been seeing more of Nick and the kids interact and that's basically what inspired this chapter. It's loaded with a lot of fluff and Mia is in her residency. This will include trauma, domestic violence, abuse, swearing, etc. If you're not into that, you're free to scroll! Hope you all enjoyed the recent episode!
————————————————————————

 If you're not into that, you're free to scroll! Hope you all enjoyed the recent episode!————————————————————————

Nick POV:

Mia was always the most independent person out of everyone. She would always keep to herself and deal with her things on her own. She would never come to Mer, Maggie, Amelia, or me about anything at all, she wasn't as open as her siblings were. She reminded me of Charlotte though. Very closed off and quiet. They had become best friends before we had gotten married, but Charlotte lives in New York while Mia is with us in Seattle. I've known Mia since she was twelve and she hasn't had a father figure in her life since Derek died when she was eight. I've been in her life for almost twenty years.

She's the brightest in her class of fourth-year residents. She's very talented and gifted for her age. She's been very passionate about general and neurosurgery, mostly because of her family. However, this week has been absurd. She's barely been to work or coming in late and she looks drained. She lives across the hospital in an apartment complex with her boyfriend, John.

They've been together since she was a resident here. I had introduced him to her because he was a student of mine and I thought that they were a perfect match for each other. He's very protective over her and may seem a little like a control freak, but he's an attending so it's not a surprise.

Mia was on my service this week and she was supposed to do a solo surgery today, but she's not here. I page John to see if he knows where she is.

There's no answer at all, so I call him instead.

Mia POV:

He's beating me black and blue. I tried fighting back, but that made it worse. It's been two years of this and I don't know what to do. This time it was because I laughed at one of his colleague's jokes while we were out last night and he accused me of having a thing for him.

"John, please! Please, I'm sorry. It won't happen again. I love you, more than anyone else, I love you." I wanted him to find that part of him that cared for me, that loved me, the sweet guy that I fell in love with at a bar.

He throws me to the floor.

"Look at what you make me do. Don't you know how much I love you? You're the love of my life. Am I not enough for you? You brought this upon yourself. It's your fault you got hurt." He backs me into a corner.

"No, I love you, John. I won't do anything stupid again. Please, just relax. Please." I keep pleading over and over until he releases his hand from my throat.