Training

(WANG HUA)

"Papa! Papa!"

I smile in happiness as I watched my cousins, ShuYin and ZhouLin, running frantically towards Uncle Mei who has his arms extended to welcome his approaching children.

Uncle Mei and Uncle Jiang are home. And judging by their clothes, they didn't even bother to go to their estate to change their travel clothes and rest before coming here. Looks like they came here straight to the Palace to see us.

And now, a heartwarming reunion is happening before my eyes as Uncle Mei and Uncle Jiang carry their children, one for each of them. All four of them smiling. ZhouLin laid his head on Uncle's Mei's shoulder while ShuYin entertained Uncle Jiang by talking almost nonstop.

I felt a pang on my chest. That used to be us. My parents, Dao and I. Baba and Father used to carry us around when my twin and I were still small like ShuYin and ZhouLin. Now, I am alone here in the capital while my parents try their best to keep Dao alive in the Mughal Kingdom.

I miss my family.

"Wang Hua," I woke up from my musings when Uncle Mei called my name. Emotions flooded my chest again when I saw that he has put down ZhouLin to open his arms for me.

"Uncle!" I walked gracefully into his embrace. Uncle wrapped his arms tightly around me. "Your Father sends all his love for you," Uncle Mei whispered those words in my ear before he kissed my temple. "We miss you, our flower."

I miss you too, Father. Baba...Dao...

"We have so much to talk about," Uncle Mei said when I leaned out from his embrace. He smiled at me. "But first let me..."

"Her Majesty, the Empress, is approaching."

We all turned serious when a palace maid standing by the door of the room announced the impending arrival of the Empress. Her Majesty swept into the common room of the Moon Palace, in her usual magnificent but serene grace.

"Your Majesty," we bowed to her presence.

"Ah, Master Jiang. Master Mei. We eagerly awaits news." The Empress nodded to us as she approached. "I see that you found the people you truly want to see."

"We give our heartfelt gratitude to you, Your Majesty. For looking after our children," Uncle Mei said humbly to the Empress.

"They are delightful children to look after for." The Empress turned her eyes on me. "I'm sorry to hear that your parents has to extend their stay in the South Indes, Lady Wang. But I do hope you understand that it is in the service of the Imperial Family why they need to remain there."

"I understand, Your Majesty." What else can I say to that? I am sure no one is forcing my parents to remain there. They are there for a reason and I know most of that is about my twin brother.

"But they will be back soon," Unce Jiang said to insert himself to the conversation. "General Wang has given me instructions about how to convey their plans to His Majesty."

"And he awaits for your report, Master Jiang." Her Majesty looked at Uncle Mei. "Shall I call for food or refreshment...?"

"No need, Your Majesty." Uncle Mei halted that thought from the Empress. "We are here to get the children back home to Jiang Estate."

"So suddenly. You just arrived..."

"True. But we miss them dearly." Uncle Mei is not budging from his position. "I need my children to come back home with us."

"But of course," the Empress may looked hesitant but she relented. "I was actually hoping that we could converse about certain...shall we say happenings...that occured here involving your children and Wang Hua but I guess that could happen in later time."