Hurting

(MEI)

I managed to calm ShuYin down enough for my daughter to fall asleep in my arms. I kissed ShuYin's forehead and rocked my body while holding her, like I used to do when she was still a baby. Jiang left to do as I say. He will send the word for Dayu to come to us and Jiang then left to talk to his sister to make sure that ShuYin's aunt truly never utter the word "adopted" in front of our daughter.

Mrs.Hwang came into our room to report that the note summoning Dayu has been sent and that Captain Jiang already left to go to his sister on the other side of the capital.

"Is the Lady ShuYin alright, Master?" Mrs.Hwang asked with worry on her tone and face.

I gazed down at my sleeping daughter, the tear tracks on her cheeks are still visible . I passed a loving hand at her hair. "She is fine. Tell her nanny to ready ShuYin's sleeping gown. Kindly remove this dress on her and put my daughter in her sleeping attire."

"I will do so, Master." Mrs.Hwang left to do as I order. I held ShuYin close to my body again. To be truthful, I want to sleep next to my daughter tonight. I want to guard her. I don't want to take my eyes off her.

I am scared.

I wonder if this is what Dayu felt when they learn that Hua inherited Captain Wang's strength. My niece has a "gift" too. An ability that makes her strong as ten men. I'm not sure how Dayu handled all of that but I need him now. What ShuYin could do is obviously different from Hua's ability but I think the concept is the same.

There is something different about my daughter that we need to keep as a secret. No one we don't implicitly trust should know. No one.

No one must know that ShuYin could read people's heart to know their true feelings, thoughts and intentions.

ShuYin will be in danger if this will be known to many.

I just placed ShuYin in the care of her nanny and Mrs.Hwang when Dayu came rushing. My cousin looked hurried. It was clear that he rode hard to be by my side because I called for him.

I started feeling emotional as I think about how much Dayu cares for me. "Dayu ah..."

"Mei!" Dayu moved fast to hug me. I sagged against my cousin. My emotions finally spilling. I cry into Dayu's shoulder. "What happened Mei? What happened? Why are you...oh Mei..." Dayu's arms tightened around me.

I cried to my cousin until I can't anymore. Dayu took me to our room and asked for some water from a helper. When the water arrived, Dayu made me drink.

"Slowly," Dayu passed a calming hand on my back as I slowly drained the water on the glass. After drinking, I felt a lot better.

"Did you and Jiang fight?" Dayu asked as he took the glass from me.

That question of his made me laugh despite everything I am feeling about ShuYin. "Please never stop being suspicious of my lover," I said.

Dayu winced. "I see, you two didn't fight. Then what happened? Why are you crying alone and where is he? Isn't he supposed to be here, comforting you?"

"He went to his sister," I said.

"Why is he there?" Dayu frowned.

I took a deep breath before I started to explain to Dayu on what we discover about ShuYin. Once I have explained everything in the best of my ability, I stared into my cousin's stunned expression.

"She...can...read what?"

"Hearts," I bit my lower lip when Dayu blinked at me. "She said she can read hearts, Dayu. I think it's the same as knowing people's true intent. She knows when people are lying to her, when they don't like her. What they think about her. She read the word "adopted" on her aunt and cousin's heart."