Dreams and Promises

(DAYU)

Captain Wang came home in time to join us for dinner. Even though we served Hua's favorite beef stew, my daughter remained quiet while eating sparingly. She didn't join the conversation on the table while sighing every now and then.

She kept on irritating me.

Captain Wang, for his part, is no better than our daughter. If Hua is being indifferent to her surroundings and wallowing on self pity, my lover is acting all indifferent to our daughter's forlorn aura. Captain Wang act like everything is fine. Eating steadily while he kept me talking about the progress on the new fences we are putting up because we are expanding the pig's corral as we are adding more stocks of pigs there.

He is irritating me as well.

"Are you sure that ten more pigs won't be too much, Dayu?" Captain asked.

"It'll be fine," I said. My eyes narrowed as I watch my lover scoop up more vegetables for the serving dish. He will soon be done eating without saying a word to Hua or engaging our daughter in a conversation. The same could be said to Hua who is now ignoring the desert tray while pushing the remnants of her dinner around her plate.

I am surrounded by idiots in this table. It's making me wish for Dao's presence and that just irritate me some more. Why should I miss that other idiot who won't even have a heart to write his worried Father? That jerk.

I looked back and forth to the father and daughter tandem who are giving me headaches. I wonder who between them should I push to start a conversation between them. I decided to choose the easy path.

I kicked my lover.

"What?" Captain Wang gave me a surprised look.

I made a discreet gesture of pointing at Hua. Although the gesture was a waste because Hua was oblivious and not paying her poor parents any attention.

"What do you want me to do?" Captain Wang whispered at me.

"Talk to her. Engage her," I whispered back.

Captain Wang studied Hua for a moment before he shook his head. "She is sulking," he told me in a low tone.

I rolled my eyes, "I know that. But still, talk to her. She has been acting miserable the whole day," I said.

"What will I tell her?" Captain Wang asked, looking clueless to how he can start a conversation with our daughter.

"Anything," I gave his arm a little push to get him going.

Captain Wang grimaced before taking a deep breath and focused on our daughter. "Hua, how was your day?" He asked conversationally.

Hua didn't answer. Instead our daughter sighed again. Captain Wang frowned, "Wang Hua, I asked you a question." This time, my lover put energy and authority on his tone.

That pierced Hua's focus and she finally looked at us. "You did?" She winced at being caught in her absentmindedness. "Could you, repeat the question Baba?"

"How was your day? Have you been studying well with your Father?" My lover asked.

Hua shook her head. "You have to ask Father if my studies are going well. I just do what he said in the best of my ability. If he is satisfied with my work, I'm not quite sure..."

"You are doing fine, Hua." I said.

"There," Hua waved a lame hand in the air. "It looks like I am doing fine, Baba." She said before going back to being quiet with her own thoughts.

Captain Wang and I looked at each other. I urged him again to start a conversation with Hua. My lover shook his head but I gave him a warning look. My lover gave me a frustrated look.