Disappointment

(DAYU)

Days had passed and soon I had the assignment the Emperor asked to do.

"If I only know that escorting you is the task that will be given to me, I would have said no." I frowned at the little boy walking beside me. We are making our way through the dark blankets of the night for the boy meet Emperor Shen inside the Palace. Without any lamp or torches to light our way. It's disconcerting to know that the two of them are quite comfortable in darkness.

"Stop lying. Escorting me to meet the Emperor is about the only exciting thing going for you right now," AhRan snickered. "How is Wang Hua?"

"None of your concern," I said evasively.

"That bad eh," AhRan let out a dark chuckle. "She must be cursing her twin to hell and back by now. Wang Hua might not say much but she has never been subtle with her feelings."

"She is busy helping a friend," I said to distract the both of us from the truth on his words.

"Helping a friend is never a bad thing to pass the time. Better than being caged in a vast estate waiting for a Prince and a twin that won't write to you, that's for sure." AhRan sighed.

"We are not caging her," I said through the grinding of my teeth. Not gonna ask how AhRan knew about the details of Hua's grievances.

"Oh for sure. You and General Wang wouldn't be heartless like that. Surely you are not forcing your own daughter to learn everything about being a good wife when you cannot even ensure the safety of her would be husband. How's Prince Jin by the way?" AhRan gave me an innocent smile.

"That question, you can ask the Emperor. He is keeping us in the dark about Prince Jin and Wang Dao's activities in the Mughal Kingdom." I said in a tight tone.

AhRan openly chuckled in amusement. "Someone is keeping the "Shadow" in the dark. How...ironic." He sighed dramatically. "Since when are Master Shu's nephews waiting for others to feed them information? Are you really that assassin who infiltrated a military base with thousands of soldiers that could kill him? I think I don't know you anymore, Jian Yu."

"I really hate that you know about my past," I said. "And I specifically hate it that you love monologuing about it."

"Then stop lying to me," AhRan turned serious. "How is Prince Jin?"

I sighed. "Waiting for someone. Probably an informant. They are looking for a signal to start whatever their mission is."

AhRan smiled. "See? I know you won't disappoint me. I know you have a spy within that nest of spies in the South."

"Yes. But you are a great disappointment to me. Still nothing on Wang Dao?" I stared into AhRan's face. His eyes are covered with cloth again but I know the boy is not blind and could perfectly see through the darkness with those unusual eyes of his.

"Still nothing. Something is blocking our connection. I cannot see him in my visions. What about you?" AhRan turned his head up in my direction.

"I will have some information, maybe by tomorrow. I might be persuaded to share them to you," I said coyly.

"Oh you will share them to me if you don't want me to approach your daughter and read her fortune to her," AhRan said.

"You said Hua's fortune might have some difficulties but she will be alright," I frowned at the boy.

"Yes. But I could enumerate to Hua every obstacle she will have to face. That will sure keep her busy enough that she might stop rebelling against you and your King. How about that? I'd be doing you a favor after all."