Homebound

(WANG DAO)

The Little Parcel dared to say my Father's name. No one knows about that name my Father uses. Father is the best kept secret of the Wang family. The Master General's lover. The one who raised me and my sister. The one who controls the vast Wang Estate. The one who could cripple down a whole kingdom if he desired so.

Father's identity is a secret to everyone because of his past life. See, my Father was once an assassin who killed numerous generals and soldiers during the Building Era. The era when the Middle Kingdom has amassed a great number of soldiers and trained them under the tutelage of the former Master General, General Zong and his deputy, my own grandfather, General Wang Ruan.

Father was the famous "Shadow" whose name was whispered in fear from SiChuan to Shanxi and the Capital as the one who burned down the great HanZong Military Base and killed Master General Zong. HanZong Military Base was the first legitimize military training ground that started the now impressive Imperial Army being lead by my Baba.

If people will learn that the current Master General is harboring, no...make that loving and worshiping the ground the assassin known as "Shadow" walks on, Baba's political opponents will use that as a way to discredit our Baba and family.

Thats why Father's former identity is our family's secret. Even the Imperial Family doesn't know about Father's "pet" name. No other one has called Father as Dayu except our Baba. Everyone in Wang Estate calls him Master Jian Yu. For me and Hua, he is Father. For everyone else, he is the quiet and efficient estate manager of the Wangs.

But this Little Parcel called Father by Master Dayu. How did he learn about that name? Why is he using it?

"Dao!" Prince Jin gripped my forearm to prevent me from doing anything I might regret later. "Lets all be calm. Please..." he slowly pulled my hand holding the dagger away from the Little Parcel's face. His Highness looked at AhRan. "Care to explain why you are calling Master Jian Yu that name? You have to explain because it triggers our usually amiable Young Master Dao,"

AhRan's eyes shifted around. He's clearly thinking of an answer that won't push me to kill him. "I see. I was mistaken. I thought his name was that but its Jian Yu. Master Jian Yu." He winced at me. "I'm sorry, Master Dao. I was mistaken." The seer politely bowed at me with his apology.

He's lying. He's familiar about the name "Dayu". But I cannot question him further or it may raise Prince Jin's suspicions and he might start asking questions, on me. I think I have to keep an eye on this seer. He knows something about my Father that only a handful of people knows. He could be a danger to Father, and in turn, a danger to our entire clan.

I hid my blade again. "Make sure not to make the same mistake again," I said grumpily.

"I'll try my best," the seer kept on being polite. The tension in the air dissipated.

"So what do you say? Will you help me?" Prince Jin has gone back to the original topic. He sat back down and regarded the seer with intense interest. "All you need to do is spew one of your premonition and say that Wang Hua is not meant to wear the Empress crown. Thats it."

AhRan turned quiet. I sat down as well and stared at him. The seer is contemplating. I think he is cunning. In his young age, he is already doing what my Father usually do. Turn quiet as he thinks. Not everyone can do that. To be quiet while thinking means to focus all your mind to weighing your choices. They will be lost in calculating their next move. Father could outmaneuver anyone once he thought of a good strategy to use to win. If AhRan is the same as my Father in thinking of a strategy...

He is someone we cannot underestimate. My resolve to keep an eye on him is solidifying further in my head.

I was following that way of thinking that I was not even surprised at the answer he gave to Prince Jin. "Let me take a look at Wang Hua and Crown Prince Han first, Your Highness. I couldn't give you my words or any reassurance if I don't know whom I am dealing with. The truth is, nobody can defeat fate. Not even a seer like me." AhRan said.