Resounding

(WANG HUA)

All that running, for nothing. It feels like the excessive exercise was all a waste because my Baba can still throw a steel spike to stop my arrow.

Damn it! Damn it!

"Calm down...getting angry won't get us anywhere." Even though he is cautioning me, Dao's voice in my head sounded irritated as well. I want to chuckle. Trust me to think that my impatient twin will find this all annoying.

"Of course, it is annoying. That was some class A effort, Hua. Baba is such a spoilsport to make you work this hard. Never mind, we still have two tries." My brother's voice reminded me.

"He is right. You can still win this, my love." Jin's voice added it's support.

Heavens, I am going insane hearing their voices in my head. I closed my eyes to focus my head. My first try is a fail. I have to think.

What more can I do to win this test? How much more do I have to give? How fast do I have to release my arrow? How...

How much do you want this?

Jin's voice in my head asking that question made me stop. How much do I want this?

Yes. How much do you want to pass this test, my love? How desperate are you to best your own sire?

Dao's face slithered on my vision as I heard a snort from him. "Not desperate enough. Hua is not desperate enough. Be more desperate, sister."

I inwardly groaned. Be more desperate. I need to be more motivated. I need it to be more urgent. The stake to be higher.

I need to be more desperate.

I look at the arrows in the crate. What could make this situation more desperate than if I have only one arrow to shoot? If I am down to one last arrow.

You still have two tries. Lose the other one, Love. Give it away. Then be more desperate.

The Prince is right, Hua. Let the stake go higher.

I closed my eyes. I hate the fact that Jin and Dao are both encouraging all my crazy ideas. But then that's how they are...trusting me. Always trusting me. My foolish brother and my equally foolish Prince.

I opened the crate again and took two arrows from it before covering it up once more. I took several deep breaths as I step into the starting line. My Baba gave me a puzzled look before he stood at his starting point. In the middle of the arena between me and the target board. I nodded to him.

Baba turned to the man in charge of the gong. "Sound it. The second attempt will start soon." My sire ordered.

The gong was sounded and without hesitation, I loaded the second to the last arrow on my bow and released it fast. My Baba, maybe be caught a little surprise at the speed of the arrow's release, still managed to catch it in mid sail. The audience groaned in dismay and my Baba frowned at me as he snapped the arrow he caught in middle, then letting it fall on the ground in two broken pieces.

"Are you giving up?" Baba asked while frowning at me.

I shook my head. "No. Just getting more desperate." I said before I put the last arrow on the quiver slung on my back. Then I produced my dagger and bend my waist so I slash the hem of my skirt to take a strip from it. I need the cloth to tie the dagger on my hand.

Yes, I am finally at this stage. Desperation. And in turn, it's making me more crazy.

                              ........................