Fate and Destiny

(WANG DAO)

I want to go to the border the moment that I learned from Prince Guo and Yong that my Baba was there commanding his troops. But two reasons stopped me.

First, I had to stay here to keep Prince Jin safe. I have to be close by in case the Prince needed me. That's why I am here. That's my job.

Second, because I don't know what my reaction will be in case I see Baba. There is a chance I might jump on the opportunity to come back to the Middle Kingdom to see my Father and Hua again. And another, I am not sure what Baba will do once he get a hold of me. I stole one of his letters warning Uncle Wei that I was supposed to join the military base in the South.

Stealing from the Master General is still a henious crime in the army. But I did it and there is a chance that Baba will strung me upside down and beat me within an inch of my life with a bamboo stick until it snapped.

For reference, it takes a lot of time to break a bamboo stick. That means Baba will have to beat me for a long time if that will be his goal: beat his wayward son with a bamboo stick until it breaks.

In truth, I deserve death. I disobeyed my parents, challenged their authority and break their hearts when I entered enemy territory without properly saying goodbye to them. I even left my home squabbling with Hua. Beating me up with a stick will be too lenient of a punishment for me.

So I stay put in the safe house where I am staying. I sleep most of the day away, letting the effect of the blue opia subside in my body. It makes me tired, when the effect of the substance is loosening its grip on my mind. I am ever alert when I am under its influence. I don't even have to eat because it energize me as well.

But once the effect went low, it drags me with it. I will feel lethargic, almost out of my mind and all I want to do is sleep.

It's brutal, what I am doing on my body.

But I don't know any other way to survive. Our missions mostly takes off during night time and I need to be alert for that. One missteps and it may cause us our lives. Being constantly aware of our surroundings is essential for Prince Jin and I to continue living.

Besides, if I stop taking the blue opia, that presence will have an opening to mess with my head again. I don't need that voice pestering my mind as I try to do all I can to survive so I can go back home to my family and to my Crown Prince.

So I sleep the day away. Lying on the cot in that dank room I call my temporary home.

And I dream...

It's always the same...my dream. I will be standing in the middle of a forest and a path will be cleared up for me. I rebel against taking that path but something will always propel me to walk right into it.

Then at the end of the path, I will find a small pool and a creature standing in the middle of it.

"Come join me," the creature will say invitingly.

"Why? Why should I?" I will always ask. Like I am reading from a script.

"Because it is your destiny. It is our destiny. To be together," the creature will say before it will held its hand out for me.

"You are dangerous," I always knew that fact. That this creature is dangerous.

"No more than you," there will be amusement on the creature's tone.

"Why can't I see your face?" I asked as I dip my foot on the water against my will. In my dream, I always lost my will to this creature. I don't want to join him on the pool but I always do it anyways. It makes me wonder why I try to fight it when I always lose.