Missing

(WANG HUA)

I went home after spending the whole afternoon with LiAn. Glad that we got to talk and I acquired some sewing tips from her. My Nanny was never a good sewer. Nana is the one who knows how to sew. Since being under Nana's care, my needleworks are seeing some improvements...but I'm still not in any way good at handling needles.

Dinner was a relatively peaceful event because Baba and Dao didn't join us. Baba is still at work while Dao is probably having fun with his friends.

I went through my nightly routine. I read a book since sleep didn't come easy for me, I was halfway finished with the book I am reading about an adventurer lost in the western sea.

But I managed to finish the book, it didn't have a satisfactory ending, so I decided to get a new one from the library. With the aid of a candle, I made my way outside of my room and into the library. I managed to find new story to read but before I can walk back to my room, I saw a light moving down on the ground flour. I decided to check the source of that light.

I found several since some helpers are still not asleep...as well as Father, who was confuse when he saw me coming down on the ground floor.

"Why aren't you asleep yet?"

"I'm getting a new book. I finished the last one."

"I see. Don't start on that one tonight and go to sleep instead. Your skin might break out if you lack sleep." Father is ever the cautious one about my regime.

"Alright." I simply agreed so he won't nag at me. "But why are you still awake, Father? Are you waiting for Baba?"

"No. I am waiting for your brother."

"Hmmm..."

Father's gaze turned sharp. "What does that hum means?"

"Oh...nothing. I just want you to know that I am aware that you and Baba are at odds again. I hope you two will resolve it well." I said.

Father's sharp gaze waned. He sighed. "Come have tea with me," he said.

I gladly followed Father into the tea room. He ordered tea and whatever sweet snacks we have available in the pantry. The helpers brought us magnolia tea, something that is good to drink during night time to as an aid to have a good night sleep.

I do plan to sleep tonight...but I won't until I hear whats on Father's mind.

I carefully mixed one lump of sugar on my tea, stirred it a little before taking a small sip. Its still too hot so I let it cool down first.

Father sighed again while preparing his own tea. "You are right to think that your Baba and I are squabbling again."

"Is it your fault?"

"No."

"Ah, forgive Baba...Father..."

"I wouldn't even say its your Baba's fault although I am extremely, extremely, annoyed at him at the moment."

"I see..."

Father looked at me. "He told me about the treatment Dao got while you two were young and still living with your relatives. They used to lock away your brother..."

Fury rose in my chest. "Yes. It was a horrible time for Dao."

Father frowned. "What about you?"

"I..." I turned my eyes down at the steam emitting from the cup in front of me. "It was a hard time for me as well, but it was doubly so for Dao."

Father drank some tea. "Can you tell me about that time?"

I hummed again. "Uhmm...it was quite a time ago. I'm not sure if my memories will be accurate. I was also mostly sick during that time."