4: Savoring This Moment

Everyone was dumbfounded, including the children when they saw and heard Aranea's name in the invitation.

She did not have any magical powers so why was she included? All the while, they always thought of Elenea being invited but Aranea was invited as well?

Isn't this a fluke?

Elenea was born with magical healing powers once she sang for them. Aranea was jealous when they were young but as she grew, she was determined to be good at something which others aren't good at, so she improved her physical prowess in archery.

Shaking herself from her thoughts, Aranea furrowed her brows then spoke, getting everyone's attention.

"I think there's something wrong," the red-haired girl said, not believing the invitation as well. Hearing this, however, and feeling certain at the same time, Aurelia shook her head to disagree.

"How could it be a mistake? Mystic Academy existed for a very long time. It has been here since time immemorial and you expect this to be a mistake? I came there and graduated there," Aurelia said and Aranea scoffed.

"Oh, come on, mom! You taught us that not everyone and everything is perfect. Why is the academy any different? They invited me! A person born without magic! Maybe they invited me because they know I have the 'magic' to be so stupid when I lose my common sense."

Hearing what Aranea had said, the two teenagers and the children stifled their laughter, making the girl narrow their eyes at them. The situation was already serious but Aranea still had the energy to joke about it.

"Not to sound disappointing to Aranea, but I suppose she's right. It could be an error," Elenea chimed in and Aurelia sighed.

"Their first mistake after thousands of years? I kind of doubt Aranea being on the list, but I think there's something in Aranea that the academy only sees," Aurelia justified and everyone now looked at Aranea in wonder.

As she got their doubting stares, the girl pouted as she crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"Oh, come on, you guys! Are you cheering me up or insulting me?"

Elenea laughed when she heard her sister say this.

"We aren't! Just wondering, though. Since they invited you, might as well prepare for it, right? There's nothing wrong with that," she suggested and Aurelia nodded in agreement.

"Your sister is right. Since the academy had written your name, why not go?"

Aranea smiled, feeling nervous and excited at the same time. She scratched the back of her head, feeling embarrassed that a person like her got invited to enroll in Mystic Academy.

"You think this isn't a mistake and that there's something that I have that we just don't see?"

Aurelia smiled sincerely at her adopted daughter, giving her strength.

"I believe that you are a great person, Aranea. If the academy invited you, then you may have great potential!"

Hearing this, Jack nodded.

"She's right! Just go, Aranea! Ralph and I will be handling things here while you and Elenea are in the academy," he chimed in, making the twins feel at ease.

They realized that they will be in the academy for four years and would have to wait for the holidays in order for them to go home. Knowing that Jack and Ralph are here, they know that the two would take care of the orphanage in their absence.

"You take care of everyone... you guys promise," Aranea said teary-eyed and they all laughed.

"Oh, don't be so emotional, dear. You're still going to be here for a few days," Aurelia commented and Aranea wiped her tears away. Elenea looked at her twin sister and spoke as she held her hand.

"Mom will help us prepare for the things we need. Until then, we have to enjoy the remaining days we have until we go, alright?"

Hearing her sister speak and enlightening her up in the process, Aranea nodded and the children looked at the twins as they started mumbling between themselves.

"You think Aranea's going to make it?"

"I'm not quite sure! Elenea's smart and talented with her magic. I wonder what would Aranea do."

"Aranea's right that maybe her magic is losing common sense!"

"Umm... does that count?"

"I don't know! It would be amazing if common sense is magic!"

"Yeah... I'm worried she might be held back because she does not have magical powers."

"Adding up, she isn't smart as big sis Elenea!"

"You think her archery skills are up to par with magic?"

"Physical attacks against magic? Are you joking me?"

"Hey! It might be possible!"

"Magic powers are strong, you know! What can a measly arrow do?"

Aranea's face started to redden in embarrassment as she heard the conversations of the children. She stomped her feet on the ground as she tightened her fists, making the young ones look at their big sis Aranea starting to turn red like a tomato due to anger.

"Hey! I could hear you guys, you know! Do you want to starve for a day!?"

"Ah! We're sorry, Aranea!"

The children apologized in unison and they started running away in the fields as Ralph, Jack, Elenea, and Aurelia laughed at how annoyed Aranea is at the moment because of the children's conversation.

Aranea playfully chased the children one by one, savoring this moment of being with them before they left for the academy.

As they were playing, Aranea wondered to herself how she was invited to enroll in the academy.

What the children said was true. The only thing Aranea's good at is her skill in archery. Being excellent in archery is nothing compared to having magic. Still, why was she invited?

Are the assumptions of her mother and sister true? Is there something in her that the academy only sees? Can she talk to the headmaster about this? Isn't the headmaster "all-knowing" for him or her to invite Aranea?

There are a lot of questions circling around Aranea's head. Could they possibly have the answers once they step inside the academy?

They could only wait until then...