51: What's With You, Aranea?

Hey pretty stranger

I think you look cute

Can I get your number

I wanna know you

***

The four of them still continued walking towards the falls. It was four in the afternoon, and they were still yet to wait for the sun to set and by that time, they would already start with the plans.

Aranea was singing a song entitled "your text" by sundial. Since it is dark in the Stygian Forest, Elenea and Leonel would look at the time to identify what time of day it was already.

Zann still continued to lead the way, the three of them quiet as Aranea continued to sing softly, enough for them to hear.

***

Tell me your secrets

Tell me your fears

Nobody will notice

Let's get outta here

***

It was the first time for Zann and Leonel to hear their Summoner Aranea sing. When they heard her start singing, they were quite surprised to find her singing great—her voice serene and at the same time, calm.

Leonel then looked at Elenea who was walking beside him, getting her attention as he asked her a question.

"Has Aranea always liked singing?"

"Yes!" Elenea nodded enthusiastically, "But with her voice soft now, you would find her singing voice better if she would sing louder."

"I see," Leonel commented, "Then I would have to wait for the day she sings comfortably, then."

"Right!"

***

Hey girl don't catch me look

Oh boy I caught you staring

What do you think of me?

Do you think of me?

***

Actually, it wasn't Zann's first time to hear Aranea sing. It is his first time hearing her sing after a few years.

Back then when Zann left Aranea and had not sealed the pact with her as his familiar, Zann would secretly drop by before he came to the academy to watch if his familiar was alright.

Then there was one time that he heard Aranea sing to the children, making him hear her singing voice even before Leonel could.

And Zann had to admit to himself: that Aranea indeed had a great singing voice and he was captivated by it—making him drop by for a few nights to listen to her sing.

***

You got that new style

You wear that perfect smile

I'll take you on a date

Are you free Saturday

***

Zann actually saw Aranea when she was a young teenager. He saw how she usually played with the people at the orphanage—she saw how caring she was to young children.

He saw how she usually held herself back—keeping her tears at bay as she compared herself to her sister having magic.

The Fire Familiar would usually see how Aranea would put up a strong front so people around her won't worry about her.

***

And I think I like you

I like you, I like you

And I hope you do too

You do too, you do too

I like you

***

Zann could understand how Aranea felt. Zann was shunned since he was young because of how destructive his magic was—when he couldn't control it.

He was usually compared to Leonel, a person who could control his element well—a person who is looked up upon because of how well he fought.

The only difference between him and Aranea was that Aranea did not have magic, yet she improved herself well in other aspects like in archery.

For Zann, he proved himself that he was different from the past wielders of the Fire Element. They acknowledged him of having the power, but they shunned him of how he couldn't control it.

Now that he has controlled his prowess, and has improved in other aspects like swordsmanship, he could not help but think how the people of Ravaya would think once they saw him at par—or rather, even better than their Leonel.

"Hey, Tsun-Tsun."

When Aranea called his attention, Zann snapped out of his thoughts. He looked at her from the corner of his eye, looking serious now that Aranea had made him stop thinking of his past.

"What? And will you please stop calling me that."

Aranea ignored what he said. She elbowed him, whispering to him as if telling him a secret.

"Don't you think that after this, we need to train privately?"

"What?"

Zann furrowed his brows. For some reason, he felt his face heating up when he heard Aranea said that they would need to train privately.

'Would that mean it would only be the two of us?'
Before the Fire Familiar even realized, his mind was already going wild...

"Well," Aranea trailed off, "It's like what Leonel and I did days ago before the ordeals happened."

"Oh."

When he heard Leonel's name, he could not help but feel disappointed for who knows what reason. He internally groaned as he rolled his eyes at the same time.

"Like what?"

"He said familiars should learn how to resonate their magic with their Summoner. Like before, Leonel and I sparred with each other to see my strengths and weaknesses, and after, we practiced to resonate!"

Hearing this, Zann turned his head to look at Aranea, cocking his head to the side as well in wonder as he slightly raised a brow at her in astonishment.

"You... want to spar with me?"

Aranea nodded, "Sure! I could see why not! If Leonel was flustered when we sparred with each other, I think I could have what it takes to have a sparring session with you, too!"

Hearing this, Zann could not help but scoff. When Aranea heard his reaction, she narrowed her eyes at him, crossing her arms in front of her chest as they continued walking onward.

"You think I'm not up to it? Don't look down on me!"

A smug grin appeared on Zann's face, "So, you think you can take me on?"

Aranea's eyebrows creased together, "Why not? After this, you could tell me what I need to improve, no? I could learn a thing or two from you," she said, Zann finding her motivation unusual but admirable.

"For a girl, it's rare for you to be this interested in sparring and learning," he commented, Aranea, laughing for a brief moment.

"Is it weird? For some reason, I'm quite tomboyish but I don't care. Other than that, I would have to do my best as a Summoner, no?"

Zann stopped in his tracks, making Aranea beside him stop. The two behind them also stopped walking, curious as to why the two ceased their walking.

"Then after the ordeals," Zann replied, a wide grin appearing on Aranea's face. "We can go sparring and have training for elemental resonation."

"Alright!"

With Zann's approval, Aranea couldn't help but feel challenged and excited at the same time. Somehow, Zann found her smile infectious, making him smile along with her as well.

'What's with you, Aranea?'