41: I'm Fire, He's Water

"I told you... it's none of your business!"

The twins widened their eyes when they heard Zann shout at them. They both looked at each other, Aranea's eyebrows furrowing as she found it irritating that Zann raised his voice at them.

"Hey!" Aranea put both of her hands on her waist. "Why did you raise your voice at us!? Don't you remember that I am your Summoner and that I am her twin sister at that?"

Hearing this from her, Zann intentionally rolled his eyes at her, finding her words all high and mighty. He thought that just because Aranea is a Summoner, she is of a higher rank than him.

Zann crossed his arms in front of his chest as he scoffed, not caring that Aranea is his Summoner.

"You think just because you called us, you're our boss or something?"

Hearing this, Leonel scoffed as well, getting the attention of the three as they looked at him the moment he reacted.

"Well, technically, she is since she did beckon us here in this world. Since we have our bonds connected with hers, it is our sole responsibility to protect her."

Zann raised a brow at him, the atmosphere around them getting colder than it already was in Stygian Forest.

"It is our responsibility to protect our Summoner, yes. But that doesn't mean you have to be so stuck up--following what the Summoner wants all the time."

With that, it was as if lightning appeared in between the two as they glared at each other down. The twins blinked their eyes a few times, scratching the back of their heads as they felt awkward being around them.

"It seems that they are not getting along, no?" Elenea commented, Aranea, creasing her brows as they continued to watch both of them.

"Isn't it clear? Look at them!" The Summoner then crossed both of her arms in front of her chest. "They seem like they could jump and lash out on each other any time soon," she added, the twins listening to their argument.

"But Aranea has a point," Leonel commented, tipping his chin up, looking confident. "You don't have to raise a voice at her just because you don't want to share what happened to you these past few years."

A cheeky grin appeared on Zann's face as he rolled his eyes at Leonel again, irritating him with what he said.

"I don't care what you say. You read by the books too much, making you a perfect lap dog for the Summoner."

With that, Leonel grabbed Zann by his shirt, the Fire Familiar unfazed with the sudden display of violence that the Water Familiar showed.

"What did you say? Lap dog?"

"Yeah. Lap dog."

Zann then glared at him as he shoved Leonel away from him, making the Water Familiar let him go.

"You always curry favor to those people--for example, our master, and for example now, our Summoner. You don't want to disappoint them. You don't want to make a bad impression--which is why you want to satisfy them if you could."

Leonel instantly silenced when he heard what Zann said. His lips turned into a tight line as his fists trembled at his sides, the twins starting to feel nervous if soon, they would fight each other.

'Ah... this is awkward,' they both thought as the Familiars continued to stare each other down.

"What did you say?" Leonel asked, narrowing his eyes at Zann at the same time.

"Oh, you heard what I said. You can't admit it. That's why you're acting this way."

"Tsk!"

Leonel clicked his tongue then gritted his teeth. Sensing that the atmosphere between them is going worse by the second, Aranea now stood in between them to stop the situation from getting worse.

"Enough, both of you!" She scolded them, and the two Familiars still glared at each other. "We're in the middle of something important, remember? The ordeals."

When Aranea reminded them about the situation at hand, the two young boys avoided each other's gaze, steel feeling a bit stubborn as they were still irritated at each other.

Their Summoner sighed, furrowing her brows as she felt somewhat worried about how the two would get along.

"Are you two... always like this?" she asked a little bit hesitant, then the two Familiars looked at their Summoner.

"It has always been like this," Leonel answered, heaving a small smile. "Ever since we were little."

"Oh!" Elenea blinked her eyes a few times, astonished. "So the two of you have known each other since you were young?"

The two familiars nodded, answering her question. Now the twins got more curious when they heard this information.

"Since you've known each other for that long," Aranea trailed off, cocking her head to the side in wonder. "Why are you guys so cold to each other?" she asked, Zann, sighing before he answered her.

"Isn't it obvious?" he asked, his eyes landing on Leonel. "I'm fire, and he's water. We're opposites. Other than that, we're both rivals."

"Aaaah..."

The twins reacted in unison, now understanding why both of them acted differently with each other.

Since both of them claimed to be rivals since they were young, then does that mean that they would forever be cold with each other?

Why are the two of them rivals, anyway? Is it because of the elements?

Or is there something more to it than meets the eye?

Aranea creased her brows, cocking her head to the side as she scratched her cheek, her mind wandering.

"Why are you guys fighting much, anyway? Do you guys have any reason why?"

When Aranea looked at Leonel as if she was looking for answers from him, the Water Familiar briefly looked at her then to Zann, now glaring at him.

"Why don't you ask Zann?"

The moment Leonel said this, Aranea and Elenea's eyes drifted to Zann, expectant. However, the Fire Familiar just scoffed as he rolled his eyes at everyone, walking ahead as he dropped the subject.

"How many times will I tell you? It's none of your business."