52: I'll Do My Best

It was already time for them to carry on with their plans. It was their first ordeal together and obviously, the twins started to feel nervous about this.

They never had experiences in actual combat or hunts, which made them think if they could pull this off together even with the help of the familiars with them.

"Hmm... I can't help but think that we may be of a big disadvantage," Aranea said, the four of them hiding behind a group of trees as Zann was looking for the sleeping potion in his bag.

"Yeah... it is going to be our first time doing a hunt and I don't know if I would be of great help," Elenea added, her hand instinctively reaching out to her chest as she felt nervous. She started patting her heart, in an attempt to calm herself down.

"You guys," Leonel called their attention, a smile appearing on his face. "You're overthinking things. There's a first time for everything," he added, Zann nodding as he finally got the sleeping potion from his bag that was attached around his waist.

"He's right. During my first hunt, I was nervous as well, not gonna lie," Zann shared, everyone's attention on him as it completely piqued the curiosity of the twins, even Leonel, his rival.

"Oh? What happened?" the Summoner asked, the Fire Familiar answering briefly.

"I barely passed my ordeal. Do you know a Behemoth? I defeated it alone but it was rather based on luck. I almost had my left arm cut off by its claws but I burned him down after he did a critical hit."

"Ooof!" Aranea reacted, the twins both wincing in pain even though they weren't there to witness what had happened. "So, your arm?"

"Good. Luckily Professor Samuela saw me and had taken me to the medical ward before I lost a lot of blood," he answered, the twins feeling more nervous than before.

"If a great fighter such as you already struggled during your ordeal, what more for us newbies?"

Zann rolled his eyes at Aranea when he heard what she said.

"What's wrong with the confidence that you showed moments ago? Don't tell me it was all show," he commented, Aranea, scoffing as she hit Zann's shoulder.

"Oh, what do you know? I may be confident, but I can be a coward, too!"

Zann chuckled, a smug grin appearing on his face as he teased Aranea.

"All talk."

"Hey!"

Elenea couldn't help but laugh as she listened to the two talk to each other. She had to admit that seeing how those two conversed, her nervousness slowly disappeared, making her smile as she got her twin sister's attention, making her focus.

"Now, Aranea," Elenea called out, Aranea, shifting her attention on her. "We have to focus now—or this may flop."

"Nnngh..."

With Aranea finally quiet, Zann gave the sleeping potion to Leonel along with the wrapped meat of the Valaha that they have defeated.

"I will start distracting the other Catoblepas once you're sure that the other has gone to sleep," he instructed, Leonel, nodding as he got the items from him.

He did not want taking orders from him but since Zann is more familiar of this realm than him, he would have to follow for now.

Zann then looked at the two girls, giving them the instructions further.

"You two would have to stay. Leonel and I would be making the other sleep. If all else fails, and we were noticed by the other Catoblepas, I would be the decoy."

"Alright," Aranea and Elenea answered in unison, Zann, pointing at the large oak tree above them.

"You two would have to stay above and keep a look out. From there, you would see the falls and the Catoblepas."

At the same time, Zann gave them wireless earphones, giving the twins and Leonel one each to put in their right ear. Zann then connected it to his phone, his voice heard in the earphone.

"This will serve as our communication device. Inform me and Leonel if you see something—or if you're giving out warnings. Do you understand?"

"Right," Aranea replied, Zann, feeling uneasy as he looked at the Summoner. He then heaved a small sigh, looking at Elenea as what he said made Aranea feel irritated.

"I trust you more than your sister. Do inform us if you see something suspicious."

"Alright," Elenea answered, Aranea, hitting Zann's shoulder once more.

"Hey! I can do a great job—"

"Now, climb," Zann interrupted, his glare piercing on Aranea, making her shut up in an instant. "If you want to finish this ordeal with flying colors, then do so by following instructions carefully."

With that, Zann started walking away, Leonel following as Aranea rolled her eyes at Zann's back, sticking her tongue out at the same time.

"Stupid Zann... acting like he's the boss."

"I heard that!"

Elenea stifled her laugh, her twin sister realizing late that the earphones on them were on, making Zann and Leonel hear Aranea's remark.

With one last sigh coming from Aranea, the twins started climbing the tree, sitting on one thick branch overlooking the falls and the group of Catoblepas.

The moment they were on top, their eyes widened to see how big the place is. Other than that, the long necks and the ginormous body of the Catoblepas around the falls were seen from where they are, making their heart race as they wondered how to defeat that beast even with a plan at hand.

"What's happening, Aranea, Elenea?"

When Leonel suddenly asked a question, it had snapped the twins out of their thoughts, making Elenea answer his question.

"There are five Catoblepas on sight. The three are climbing up the mountain as what Zann said, and the other two stayed, far apart from each other."

"Good," Zann commented, "With the two far apart from each other, we could easily drug the other Catoblepas. Once succeeded, I would head over the other and distract it. Once you see me running off with the other Catoblepas following in tow, that's when you two would head down from the tree and follow."

"Understood," the twins answered in unison, Leonel, giving his piece of advice as well.

"Remember, you would have to wait for me before heading to where Zann is. Without me, we would not be able to attack the other Catoblepas from behind. Got it? Aranea, this is going to be our call."

"Okay," Aranea replied, her hands turning into tight fists as their plans were finally taking in place. "I'll do my best."