37: Summoned Him Earlier

Before they knew it, it was already the day that they would go to Stygian Forest. Angeal, Elenea, and Leonel already prepared the things that they would need for their ordeal.

All of the students rode a Garuda going to Stygian Forest. From afar, they could already see the eerie and dark atmosphere that the forest was exhibiting.

It was as the name suggested, alright. It is a forest that is lifeless and dark.

They knew that in the forest, there would be creatures beyond their imagination. Nothing good always happens in the dark. If they were to go to a place that was deemed dangerous, then everyone would have to be cautious to protect themselves and each other.

Angeal's ordeal is to beat a Catoblepas with her familiar, Leonel. Leonel, on the other hand, would have to protect Aranea as his ordeal since she is his Summoner.

As for Elenea, her ordeal was to cure the people she is with. Since she is going inside the Stygian Forest with Aranea and Leonel, she would have to protect and heal them with her magical healing powers.

From afar, they could sense the overbearing aura of Stygian Forest, making their fly towards the forest awfully quiet.

It was evident on most of the students' facial expressions that they are nervous about doing their ordeals. They could not even tell the others what was worrying them about their ordeal because it is against the rules.

If they would tell the others what ordeal they would have, then it would mean that their tongues would get cut off.

With the students remembering this punishment, most of the students gritted their teeth in frustration.

Somehow, their ordeals this year now are deadlier and heavier compared to when it was handled years ago.

The professor who is handling them now is indeed unexpectedly extreme and dangerous.

Aranea felt determined and at the same time, nervous. She held her bow tightly, her eyebrows furrowing as she felt motivation in doing their ordeal.

'Catoblepas... I wonder if we could pull this off--it looks like a freaking large dinosaur!'

One by one, the Garudas started to safely land, the students already doing the final checks of their inventory to make sure they have brought everything that they needed before heading inside the Stygian Forest.

Soon after, Professor Gertrude called their attention. She clasped both of her hands together, the students looking at her as she spoke out loud, giving them reminders and the final instructions.

"Okay, everyone! Here is what you should remember. As students handling the yearly ordeals, one must abide by the rules and regulations of the school. Furthermore, you should have measures that would help you protect yourselves from harm."

She then looked at Professor Grisham at the side, the professor smiling at them as he gave everyone a small bow to greet everyone.

"Professor Grisham here provided recovery items for everyone. If you want to do some last-minute buying, then everyone should have to do so before heading inside. We will be giving you half an hour to do so before we could officially announce the start of the ordeals."

With that, some of the students queued in line, waiting for their turn to buy the recovery items that they needed from Professor Grisham.

As they were waiting for the official announcement of the ordeals, Leonel looked at Aranea beside him from the corner of his eye.

He noticed that she was unusually quiet. With the little time that they spent together, Leonel knew that Aranea is a person who is spunky--lively.

With her being nervous about their ordeal, Leonel smiled as he playfully ruffled Aranea's hair, getting her attention.

"You don't have to worry so much, I told you," he said, Aranea, blinking her eyes a few times at Leonel.

"You know I was worried?"

A chuckle sounded from Leonel, nodding to answer her question.

"It's written all over your face," he answered Aranea, the Summoner furrowing her brows as she pouted like a child, her heart in her chest racing in anxiety.

"I can't help it," she mumbled, "I didn't know about my powers until recently and now we have to face a gigantic beast," she added, Leonel, patting her head once more.

"I told you, didn't I? I'm here."

Aranea locked eyes with Leonel. With his reassuring smile along with his words, she couldn't help but smile at him as well, a soft flush of pink appearing on her cheeks.

"Thank you," she thanked him, Leonel, nodding as Elenea watched their bond as Summoner and Familiar.

From afar, Zann was watching them interact with each other. He wanted to go and talk to them since he would be part of the ordeal--protecting his dear Summoner.

But alas, his pride was preventing him from doing so!

With Leonel around, Zann could not help but feel disturbed. They had been rivals since they were young and now that they are protecting the same Summoner, how could he go on knowing that they would have to be together?

With Leonel noticing Zann's gaze on his back, his expression suddenly turned serious. His lips then turned into a tight line as he wondered to himself why Zann disappeared and why hasn't he gone home.

'Does he have a familiar?' he thought to himself, discreetly turning his body to look at him. 'If he is here, would that mean that someone summoned him?'

His eyebrows knitted together. He remembered the reaction of the students and the professors when they learned about Aranea's powers, claiming that she was the only one they know of after their goddess.

With that in mind, Leonel could not help but come to an assumption.

Zann and Leonel now locked eyes with each other, their body stiffening as they unexpectedly looked at each other. Both of them then started glaring as if any moment they are about to fight just as how they did when they were young.

Zann averted his gaze from him. The moment he did, Leonel let his thoughts wander off again, wondering if his assumption is right.

'Could it be that Zann is Aranea's familiar, too, and that she had summoned him earlier than me?'
***
Hello, guys! ^^ This would be a long announcement so I would use this instead other than the author's notes.
There is good news, guys! From this point on, I would be updating daily! Other than that, there are days I would update two or three chapters in a day! Yehey! ^^
The reason of this is because I would decide to lock my chapters on chapter 71. ^^ Meaning from that point on, you will be unlocking chapters using your fast passes or coins!

(Unlocking with coins would be very helpful for the author~! It will be heartwarming if you do so! But still, this is not by force. You guys reading my work is already making me happy! ^^)
Also, I have another thing to say. I will be on hiatus until March 20 for this book. HOWEVER, I have chapters scheduled until that date so don't fret! The book will update itself until the March 20th.
Once my stock reaches zero, I will try my best to update so I won't leave you guys hanging! ^^
The reason for being on hiatus is for me to focus on doing my MA thesis. Other than that, I have been employed in the school where I applied to teach so I may be doing some errands and job related activities.

Oh, and if you want to read other stories that I made, try The Soul Eater's Possession for a unique romance story having angels and demons~! This story is still ongoing, having 300+ chaps. For a zombie romance story, try reading Army of True Salvation--it is done with 200+ chapters. ^^
Anyway, thank you so much for the support! ^^ Do continue by reading my work, sending stones and gifts, and leaving comments and reviews. Recommendations help, too!

Take care and I hope you are doing great from where you are! ^^
(PS: Do read the author's note, too, for update schedules for this month of March. ^^)