𝟑 | 𝐇𝐔𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐒

"𝑇𝑜 𝑏𝑒 𝑡𝑟𝑢𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑑 𝑖𝑠 𝑎 𝑔𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑝𝑙𝑖𝑚𝑒𝑛𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑛 𝑏𝑒𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒𝑑."
—𝐺𝑒𝑜𝑟𝑔𝑒 𝑀𝑎𝑐𝐷𝑜𝑛𝑎𝑙𝑑

𝒩.

"𝐓𝐎𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝐖𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐆𝐈𝐍 a new unit," announced Grace with a joyous smile. Her eyes shifted from student to student as she stepped towards the chalkboard and gestured to the title that she had previously written. "Kinematics!"

"Yay, I love kinematics," Klaus mockingly cheered as he raised a lazy fist into the air. "What's kinematics?"

"I'm glad you asked, dear," chuckled Grace as she walked over towards him and ruffled his hair. "Now, kinematics—make sure to write this down!—focuses on the motion only, without considering the cause."

She paused as the scribbles of pencils sounded, and she waited until most of them were finished before she gave a curt nod.

"Dynamics, on the other hand," she continued, beginning to pace around the room with her hands clasped in front of her, "focuses on those causes of motion. And mechanics is the study of motion and forces."

Natalia furrowed her eyebrows, her eyes squinting as she tried to write her definitions down word-for-word. She knew she'd have to write them neatly as well since Klaus was definitely going to ask for her notes, and he always complained that her writing was illegible.

"Scalar is a mathematical quantity that has a magnitude only." Grace stopped in the middle of the room, placing her hands on her hips as she lifted her eyebrows. "Can someone give me an example of a scalar quantity?"

A couple of hands raised, and Grace nodded to Allison.

"Like . . ." Allison narrowed her eyes before shrugging. "Twenty miles?"

"Exactly!" Grace confirmed with a smile and nod. "And vector is a mathematical quantity that has both direction and magnitude. Can anyone give an example of a vector quantity? Ben?"

Ben glanced up from the note he was writing and offered, "Twenty miles . . . east?"

"Perfect," Grace approved. "Now, position is the distance and direction of an object from a reference point, and it is a vector quantity." She walked up to the board and grabbed a piece of chalk before drawing a symbol: a 'd' with a dash overtop. "This is the symbol you'll use in equations."

Natalia nodded, doing her best to make sure the symbol was as clear as possible as she drew it.

"Displacement is the change in position of an object, and is a vector quantity as well." She drew the same symbol as position, though this time she drew a little triangle in front of it. "Can someone tell me how to get this delta-d?"

Natalia raised her hand, and once Grace had nodded in her direction, she said, "Subtract d-final from d-initial."

"Precisely." Grace nodded, sending her a smile before turning around and scribbling that down. "That is the equation you'll use if you are not immediately given delta-d."

"So many d's," Klaus mumbled before wrinkling his nose. "Pretend I didn't say that."

"Don't worry, Klaus, there are plenty more d's to come," Grace reassured him with a smile.

"Mom . . ." Allison sighed as the others exchanged looks of amusement. "No."

"Anyway" —Grace turned back towards the board— "distance is the total travel of an object, with no concern for direction, and is a scalar quantity." She then drew a d, though only with the triangle and without the dash. "Can someone tell me how to get this delta-d?"