𝟏𝟕 | 𝐇𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐇

"𝑅𝑒𝑠𝑜𝑙𝑣𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑘𝑒𝑒𝑝 ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑝𝑦, 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑗𝑜𝑦 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑠ℎ𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑚 𝑎𝑛 𝑖𝑛𝑣𝑖𝑛𝑐𝑖𝑏𝑙𝑒 ℎ𝑜𝑠𝑡 𝑎𝑔𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑠𝑡 𝑑𝑖𝑓𝑓𝑖𝑐𝑢𝑙𝑡𝑖𝑒𝑠."
—𝐻𝑒𝑙𝑒𝑛 𝐾𝑒𝑙𝑙𝑒𝑟

𝒟.

𝐃𝐈𝐄𝐆𝐎 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃𝐍'𝐓 𝐁𝐄 happier.

He finally had the woman of his dreams back in his arms. Someone who was the human embodiment of absolute perfection, in his embrace. A woman who was beautiful, intelligent, funny, perfect—everything he ever wanted, clutched closely to him.

Except she wasn't.

Diego's eyebrows furrowed as he rubbed his eyes with one hand. He stared at the spot on the mattress that was now empty, with only a few wrinkles in the sheet as proof that there had been someone laying on it. 

Sunlight was pouring in through his high windows, and as he squinted at the clock, he realized that it was almost ten in the morning.

That didn't matter to him, however. What mattered to him, was the fact that the woman he had finally gotten with, was now missing.

He narrowed his eyes as he realized that there was a sticky note that on the pillow she had been resting on, and he felt a spike of fear. Had she suddenly regretted what had happened and ran away?

Tentatively, Diego picked up the note and held his breath as he scanned over it.

Diego,
Sorry that I have to leave without saying goodbye, but I have to head out to work and I don't want to wake you up :(
Last night was perfect—hope we can do something again soon.
Nat ♡

Diego let his breath out, relief washing over him. She hadn't regretted the previous night—in fact, it seemed that she had loved it.

Thank fucking God.

His thumb lightly traced over the heart she had drawn next to her name, and a soft smile appeared on his face.

His attention was quickly jerked to the door as a loud knocking came, and Nigel's exasperated voice came through a moment later, "You up yet or what, Diego? You got a match tonight! Come on!"

"I'm coming!" Diego called back gruffly, rolling his eyes.

He slid off the bed, reading over the note one more time before placing it on his desk; he most definitely wasn't going to throw it out any time soon.

Quickly, he put on his usual training clothes—a muscle shirt and some athletic pants—before taking a few sips of water. He grabbed a slice of bread from the bag that sat on top of his mini-fridge and stuffed it in his mouth, chewing furiously.

He grabbed his water bottle and a small towel and quickly headed up the stairs. He threw the towel over his shoulder before opening the door, and he was met by a very annoyed Nigel.

"Fuckin' finally!"

"No need to get your panties in a twist," Diego jeered as he stepped out and closed the door behind him. "I'm here."

"Yeah," Nigel scoffed, "about an hour and a half late."

"Slept in." Diego shrugged as the two men began to head towards the gym, the sound of grunts and low conversations becoming clearer and clearer as they approached. "Long night; cleaning."

"Yeah, cleaning?" Nigel repeated with raised eyebrows as they headed up a couple of steps and turned the corner.

"Mhm," Diego hummed as they entered the gym.