𝟑𝟎 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐀𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐘

"𝑁𝑜 𝑘𝑖𝑑 𝑖𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑙𝑑, 𝑛𝑜 𝑤𝑜𝑚𝑎𝑛 𝑖𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑙𝑑 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑟𝑎𝑖𝑠𝑒 𝑎 ℎ𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑎𝑔𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑠𝑡 𝑎 𝑛𝑜-𝑔𝑜𝑜𝑑 𝑑𝑎𝑑𝑑𝑦. 𝑇ℎ𝑎𝑡'𝑠 𝑎𝑙𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑑𝑦 𝑏𝑒𝑒𝑛 𝑡𝑎𝑘𝑒𝑛 𝑐𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑜𝑓: 𝐴 𝑀𝑎𝑛 𝑊ℎ𝑜 𝐷𝑒𝑠𝑡𝑟𝑜𝑦𝑠 𝐻𝑖𝑠 𝑂𝑤𝑛 𝐻𝑜𝑚𝑒 𝑆ℎ𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝐼𝑛ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑖𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑊𝑖𝑛𝑑."
—𝐷𝑖𝑐𝑘 𝐺𝑟𝑒𝑔𝑜𝑟𝑦

𝒩.

"𝐃𝐈𝐄𝐆𝐎, 𝐇𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐘? 𝐀𝐑𝐄 you ready to go?"

Natalia fixed the long sleeve of the simple black dress she was wearing, and nervously checked the clock to see that they should've left five minutes ago.

"Diego! We're going to be late!"

"Right here, gorgeous."

She turned to the entrance of the bedroom to see Diego, and her smile of relief was quickly wiped away when she noticed he was wearing his gear on top of his usual black sweater and jeans.

"Seriously?" She scoffed as she walked toward him and folded her arms. "We're going to your father's funeral, where you'll be seeing someone of your siblings for the first time in forever, and you're going like that?"

"See, baby, that whole sentence is the reason why I'm wearing this," he answered. His eyes roamed over her dress, which was quite fitting, and he grinned. "I like your dress though."

"Be serious." She sighed as she turned the lights off and walked towards the door.

"I am serious," he answered, playfully smacking her butt as she passed him. "You look sexy."

"I'm not kidding, Diego," she chided as she turned to him. "Seriously. We're nearly thirty. Act your age."

He rolled his eyes and grumbled under his breath, though Natalia chose to ignore it as she grabbed a light jacket and shrugged it on.

"What was the emergency at the gym?" she questioned as she grabbed her purse and slipped the strap over her shoulder.

"Well . . ."

Her eyebrows furrowed as she looked up at him. "Hm?"

He sucked his cheeks in and shook his head. "You'll get mad."

"Oh, God," she groaned, shutting her eyes as she leaned back against the door. "What did you do?"

"Do you promise not to get mad?"

"Diego."

"Do you promise?"

"Fine, whatever, I promise," she conceded as she put her hands on her hips. "What did you do?"

"I wanted to find out how he died. So" —he dug out a thick wad of papers from his back pocket and brandished it towards her— "I stole the autopsy report from the coroner's office."

"Are you fucking kidding me, Diego?" Natalia exclaimed, seizing the papers and hitting him with them. "Tell me this is a joke. You did not just—"

"You said you wouldn't get mad!" he protested, raising his arms to block her swats.

"I didn't think you were going to say that you did something illegal!"

"Oh, come on. It's not illegal," he tried to reason, though it convinced her no further.

"Oh, yeah? Breaking and entering, on top of theft, is not illegal?"