𝟗 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆

"𝐴ℎ, 𝑐𝑙𝑒𝑎𝑟 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑦 𝑠𝑒𝑒 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑡𝑟𝑢𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑦 𝑠𝑎𝑦, 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑠ℎ𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑤𝑒𝑒𝑝, 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑠ℎ𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑠𝑡𝑟𝑎𝑦."
—𝐷𝑜𝑟𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑦 𝑃𝑎𝑟𝑘𝑒𝑟

𝒩.

"𝐊𝐋𝐀𝐔𝐒, 𝐋𝐄𝐓'𝐒 𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 focus on the assignment that we're handing in tomorrow," Natalia groaned, resting on her forehead on her desk as she shook her head.

"Sure, we can do that," Klaus drawled, "or we can talk about how Dad is the leader of the Illuminati."

"I promise you, he is not the leader of the Illuminati." She sighed as she straightened back up. "Where'd you even get that idea?"

"Well, how'd he get all this money? From an umbrella store?" Klaus raised his eyebrows before shaking his head and scoffing. "And, also, why does he want us? For power. You know what else likes power? The Illuminati."

Natalia scrunched her nose. "That is the strangest train of thought I've heard."

His eyebrows raised even higher as he leaned forward and nudged her side. "But the most convincing?"

"No!" she exclaimed as she playfully slapped his shoulder.

"Just think about it, Nutella!" he complained. "Why do you think he spends so long in his office?"

She shrugged. "Because he's writing stupid shit in his journal."

"No," Klaus immediately corrected as he wagged a finger. "He's communicating with the other Illuminati people."

Natalia sighed, rubbing her forehead. "He is not."

"Give me proof that he isn't," Klaus insisted.

"Give me proof that he is!" She scoffed. "Klaus, let's just focus on hydrogen iodide."

"No, that's gross," he whined. "Hydrogen iodide? More like hydrogen i-wanna-die-de."

Natalia pulled a disgusted face, her nose wrinkled and her lips pursed tightly, causing Klaus to frown.

"No?"

"No."

"Damn."

"Anyway." Natalia sighed as she turned back to her notebook. "Write this down: Another name for hydrogen iodide is iodine hydride. Aqueous solutions are also called hydroiodic acid or hydriodic acid."

Klaus' face scrunched up, his pencil paused above the paper. "What's the difference with the last two?"

She shrugged as she waved a dismissive hand. "One of them has an extra 'o.'"

"That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

"Just write it down!" 

Before he could write it down, however, red light drowned the classroom and an alarm blasted loudly, causing all the students (except for Vanya) to drop their pencils and jump to their feet.

Natalia quickly shuffled all of her books together and grabbed them before following the rest of the students into the home and up to the second floor.

She put her books onto her desk and quickly changed into her suit, and made sure that her mask fit tightly on her face before tying her hair back.

Diego was at her door a moment later, a grin on his face. "Ready to go?"

She nodded. "Ready."

He placed a quick kiss on her cheek before the two of them joined the others in rushing down the stairs.