𝟑𝟖 | 𝐀𝐋𝐋-𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐒𝐔𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐆

"𝐴𝑙𝑙 𝑒𝑥𝑡𝑟𝑒𝑚𝑒𝑠 𝑜𝑓 𝑓𝑒𝑒𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑖𝑒𝑑 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑚𝑎𝑑𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑠."
—𝑉𝑖𝑟𝑔𝑖𝑛𝑖𝑎 𝑊𝑜𝑜𝑙𝑓, 𝑂𝑟𝑙𝑎𝑛𝑑𝑜

𝒟.

𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐃𝐈𝐄𝐆𝐎 𝐇𝐀𝐃 imagined the neighbourhood where the cause of the apocalypse lived, he had thought of a dark, sketchy street that doubled as an alley, and the only birds that flew by would be ravens and crows. Much to his dismay, his neighbourhood was actually quite nice; sleek cars were parked along the street and the sunlight flittered over the tended lawns. 

His house—a two-story, brick one—had no cars anywhere near it, which was perfect. No sneaking around needed to search inside.

"Be careful, okay?" Allison warned as they began to cross the lawn, her hand up to block to strong sun. "We don't know what Peabody's capable of."

"Yeah, he didn't seem dangerous when I first saw him," Diego pointed out with a scoff. "Looked kinda scrawny."

"Yeah, well, so are most serial killers and mass murderers," Natalia replied before gesturing at Five. "I mean, look at him."

He rolled his eyes. "Thanks."

"Good point," Diego agreed as they approached the steps, not noticing as Allison branched off towards the side of the house. "So what does this guy want with Vanya?"

"I don't know," Five replied spitefully, grabbing onto the railing as he went up. "How about we ask him after we kill him?"

"Whoa, whoa. Hey, look, I'm gonna burst through . . ." Diego suddenly noticed the lack of presence from the fourth person, and he furrowed his brows. "You know what? It would be nice for people just to stick to—"

Five teleported away.

"—the plan. Great." Diego sighed. "No one ever listens to me."

"I'm still here." Natalia shrugged.

"Well," he sighed once more, now sizing up the door, "I guess that's why I'm marrying you."

She wrinkled her nose. "I'd hope you wouldn't marry your brother or sister."

He only rolled his eyes before looking at the door again. He braced himself for impact—clearly, the only way to get in was to break in in the literal sense. He took a breath and bounced on his toes for a few seconds before launching himself forward and—

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, hotshot," Natalia interrupted, ending his momentum as she blocked his chest with her arm. "What do you think you're doing?"

Diego frowned, swatting her arm away. "Breaking down the front door."

Her eyebrows furrowed. "Why don't you try just opening the door?"

"As if a murderer would keep his door unlocked," he scoffed. "Move, I don't want you getting hurt."

Rolling her eyes, she stepped away and made a grand—and extremely sarcastic—gesture for him to continue.

With a faked smile at her, he nodded and braced himself once more. He took a breath, and, once again, threw himself towards the door.

Just as planned, he managed to shatter the large pane of glass while jumping through. What went not so planned, however, was when he lost his balance and toppled face-forward onto the ground. Pain immediately electrocuted his injured arm as his weight dropped onto it, and of course, the small fragments of glass piercing his skin didn't make him feel any better, either.