𝟑𝟔 | 𝐈𝐌𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐀𝐋 𝐌𝐄𝐍

"𝑌𝑜𝑢'𝑟𝑒 𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒 𝑓𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑘𝑦 𝑠ℎ𝑖𝑡, 𝑚𝑦 𝑏𝑟𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟. 𝑌𝑜𝑢 𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑦 𝑎𝑟𝑒."
—𝐽.𝑅. 𝑊𝑎𝑟𝑑, 𝐿𝑜𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝐸𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑛𝑎𝑙

𝒟.

𝐃𝐈𝐄𝐆𝐎 𝐆𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐀 small groan as he got out of the small bed that he and Natalia had managed to squeeze into.

He gazed down at his old bed for a moment, unsure whether he should smile or frown. Funny to think that he and Natalia were able to cuddle so easily all those years ago (though, to be fair, they were considerably smaller). Though, it wasn't all that fun back then; they would flinch at every noise outside the door, and the entire night, they would be anxious about getting caught. 

Natalia was still asleep, and that was a sight he never could frown at. He could see the outline of her tucked knees underneath the blanket, and her hand was now gripping the edge of the blanket as a replacement for Diego's shirt.

A pain in his arm drew his attention to the reason he had left the bed in the first place—the painkiller from the night before had worn off, so he desperately needed another.

Making sure to keep quiet so that he wouldn't interrupt Natalia's sleep, Diego crept out of the room and then hurried his pace once he was out of the door. His groans were muffled to the best of his ability as he went up the stairs and headed towards the infirmary.

He used his uninjured hand to flick the light on, and that same hand had to do all the work in opening the cabinet and grabbing a bottle of painkillers. Carefully, he used his injured hand to hold the bottle as the other one twisted the cap open, and he winced as a small sting hit his arm.

Hurriedly, he shook out two pills and swallowed them dry. He put the cap back on and placed it inside the cabinet.

Natalia was awake by the time he had returned to his old bedroom, sitting on the edge of the bed and stretching.

"Hey, honey," she greeted, yawning as he kissed the top of her head. "Where'd you run off to?"

He shrugged as he sat down next to her. "Just needed some medicine."

She frowned. "You should've woken me up; I would've gotten it for you."

"My arm's hurt, not my legs," he pointed out with an amused smile. "Besides, I don't need you doin' everything for me."

A knock drew their attention to the door, and Luther's head peeked in when Natalia had called for him to enter.

"Hey, uh," Luther glanced at Diego, but he still continued, "listen, Natalia, I've been thinking and with Five gone—"

"Yeah, about that," Natalia interrupted, her eyebrows furrowed. "Where's Five?"

Luther shrugged. "It's all part of a plan. Which he didn't tell me the full extent of."

"Wonderful," she muttered.

"Anyway, um" —he cleared his throat— "I thought we should tell the rest of the family."

She bit her lower lip and nodded. "Yeah."

"Okay. Living room in fifteen minutes."

"Tell us what?" Diego questioned, turning to her once the door had shut. "That you and Luther have been fu—"

"Shut up, Diego," she sighed with a roll of the eyes, causing him to grin, "you know that's not it."

"Then what, baby?"