Parties And Punishments

EDITED APRIL 2019
PARTIES AND PUNISHMENTS

The first half of the party is beautiful. Its filled with food, dancing, wine and meet-and-greets. Castiel has a huge pile of gifts stacked near the stage and he's in all his glory tonight, Jasmine and Ivana are clinging to his arms and Harley is right beside them.

          Serafina narrows her eyes from beside me. She's a stickler for attention and she's used to the spotlight being entirely on her. She's clad in a little red dress that attracts attention from lower gods and servants alike. “I don't know about you, but I'm not begging for anyone's attention. Even if it's a Prince.” I can see her gaze traveling towards some of the other men nearby.

          “No,” I catch Xavier's waiting gaze. “Neither am I.”

          “You could do so much better than a servant, Miss Caverly,” Serafina goes to refill her wine glass. “Know your worth, will you?”

          I do know my worth.

          Being a servant does not define him. He may be obedient but I can see how much he cares, even if he's not supposed to. Xavier's gaze lingers a little too long, especially in places it shouldn't.  He said that he could help me reconnect with Anna tonight, but this party is so busy that one of the competitors are bound to begin whispering rumors if I sneak off with him now.

         We all get the pleasure of meeting several gods and goddesses that make me so nervous I stutter over introductions. The wine helps, but it clouds my judgement and continues to make me spill secrets that were well kept.

         Eventually the lesser gods and elderly rich relatives of Castiel dwindle, leaving his much-younger cousins and young mischevious gods and goddesses to our whim. Fluorescent lights begin to flash. Alcohol is passed around and so are shots of tequila. There's a smoke machine clouding the warm, sticky air, and its hard to breathe. The music is new and the vibrations flow through my bones with the alcohol. Harley and I are dancing together.

          I could just make out Serafina in the crowd, dancing closely — intimately — with a darkly handsome stranger. But dearly sweet Serafina wasn't the only one innapropriately dancing with someone. I could just make out Jasmine in the crowd, being twirled around by a close friend of the Prince. Secrets are hot on the dance floor, and they make my skin buzz with warmth.

            The Prince himself is currently infatuted with Ivana. She has his full attention.

           “You did promise you'd save me a dance,” I hear his tempting voice whisper against my ear, making me shiver, goosebumps rising on my arms. “unless you're too much of a good girl . . . Princess.”

           Xavier has drifted through the party goers and towards me. He'd been lingering near other off-duty servants near the liquor table and was dressed in plain clothes. He smells of honey and blood and his scent is more intoxicating than any liquor at the party this evening. Xavier's gray-green eyes are filled with throbbing pleasure, and his full lips curl into a genuine smile. His breath smells like Jack Daniels.

          I can see the throb of muscle beneath his ivory t-shirt.

           This isn't the Prince, a sober part of me whispers.

          But the drunken side of me is pulled towards Xavier, and he takes my hand in his. “I'm nobody's Princess tonight.” the words left my lips before I could stop them.

          Xavier twirls me around. Our movements are in sync and his body aligns perfectly with mine. “You could be my Princess,” he whispers back. His voice is ragged and breathless. When we're not in the presence of Hades and Persephone, Xavier speaks freely and his body is relaxed. His skin is soft, but his hands are rough and his eyes want something they'll never be able to have. Secrets pass between us. His touch is electricifying and immediately leaves me wanting more.