06: Castiel's Choice

06:
Castiel's Choice
****************

The way back was sure as hell scary.

We didn't talk or breath, and we were silent until we reached the corridors far outside that of the library.

"Do you know where Harley's room is?" I demanded. "I have to do this. I have to warn her!"

Xavier, exasperated, shakes his head. "I have no idea . . . "

I swear quietly. "When is the next bash?"

"Four days from now. Hades was going to speak of it tomorrow. Four days from now, is what he likes to call a 'holiday' of sorts. Hundreds and hundreds of new souls die at once, sacrificed to him. The Grim Reapers will be busy as fuck trying to collect all those souls, and we'll have a bash to welcome them and classify them."

I freeze. I remember the rising flames near the Castle. "Oh God. The Punishment, Xavier."

Xavier nods. "Hades will start preparation tomorrow."

I feel very rigid. "Preparation?"

Xavier said what I was going to guess. The worst thought I didn't have the courage to say aloud. "The servants - " he mutters. " - are punished. It keeps the flames from reaching the inside of the house."

"They punish you?" I whisper. "Even though you haven't done anything wrong?"

Xavier laughs a little, rolling his eyes. We stop in unfamiliar territory. "I'm not exactly the innocent poster child." But the smile doesn't reach his eyes. "It's in the morning. It's very private. It's done before everyone even wakes up. It's fine. Hades thinks... Hades thinks it's how we should be kept in line."

"If only he knew." I stop walking, and continue a few silent seconds later. "What were they planning to do with our bodies, Xavier?"

"They were planning to kill you all after the competitions were over, and it's supposed to be my job. But I can't..."

I stay quiet.

Xavier takes me back to my room, but as I'm about to round the corner, I see someone waiting for me at my door. I turn back around the corner. My voice lowers to a whisper. "I need you to get out of here. Castiel is here."

"What?" Xavier whispers angrily.

"You won't be punished again at that party," I said. My eyes narrow. "Go, Xavier. I'll be fine."

Xavier nods, and moves back down the corridor away from me.

I turn the corridor that leads to my bedroom, and Castiel smiles when he sees me. "Hey," he greets me. "Where've you been? I tried the meal hall, bath house. I couldn't find you anywhere."

I lie quickly. "I was lost in thought. I-I kind of got lost, again. One of the servants helped me find my way back." Stupid.

"Oh, which one?" Castiel smiles gloomily. "Xavier hasn't checked in with the nightly supervisor, yet. Neither has Cedric."

Fuck.

"Xavier told me how to get back. But he never followed. I don't know where he went." Great. Throw Xavier under the bus.

Castiel frowns, shrugs. He shoves his hands into the pockets of his pants. "You mind if we talk? There's something I have to tell you. It concerns the competition." Now's my chance to tell him.

"Sure."

Uneasy, I whisper the passcode to my door and let Castiel follow me inside. He surveys the room a little, smiling and looking awkward.