07: Trouble Underway

07:
Trouble Underway
*****************

Breakfast that morning was awkward.

Castiel sits between Jasmine and Karina. They're fawning all over him, batting their eyelashes, touching him, flirting. Harley sits beside me, watching them with a jealous expression and narrowed eyes.

Castiel's attention is on them. He seems to be entranced by them, their beauty.

I lost my appetite to eat, and play with my food.

Hades announces the bash. It's two days away. And in his exact words, he allows us all to be as rowdy as can be, to an extent. He will be at his peak two days from now. Hades will be all-powerful, and the more souls to be judged after, the better.

Harley and I walk back to Xavier's room after breakfast. I carry an extra breakfast plate and a glass of orange juice.

I knock first, but there isn't an answer. I walk in, slowly, and can still see that Xavier is unconscious. There's a steady breath, his chest is rising up and down, up and down.

"We should be safe with Xavier."

Harley objects. "We can't hide here forever, Ariel."

"Only until we figure out a plan." I snap. "I can't have Jasmine tell Hades about Xavier. Not yet, anyway."

I set the breakfast meant for Xavier on his nightstand. Maybe leather-bound notebook was now the only thing set on it. A slip of paper was on the front that caught my attention. Dearest Ariel.

I set his breakfast against the nightstand, and pick up the leather-bound book with my name on it. Dearest Ariel.

Xavier's handwriting was a little messy. He wrote in cursive. It was a diary. But the first page was a folded up piece of parchment marked 'read first'.

My fingers shake as I open it. I feel like I'm snooping, and Harley comes to sit beside me against Xavier's bed.

Ariel,
If you're reading this, it means something has happened to me. What you're about to venture into is an account of a diary dating back to last year.

A wise person once told me the best way to exhale your demons is by writing them down. Spoken words are meaningless. Written words, however, stay with us forever. That's why I wanted you to have these...

I've started writing this letter two days ago, right after we kissed, and continued it last night, right after you told me what Jasmine was up to.

I could be thrown straight into Tartarus if Hades knew about this letter to you. Throw it out. Burn it. Rip it to shreds once you've finished it. Mesmerize every word. I won't disappoint.

By now, I'm betting you've told Harley what's in store for her. If Jasmine gets her way, she'll have Angelique throw both of your bodies through the portal the night of the bash. She's planning something bigger than what you're expecting. I couldn't chance you being hurt, as I might not be well enough to make an appearance at the bash, to protect you.

I promised myself after what happened on that bridge that I'd protect you in the underworld.

I thought you had to win; there was no way you couldn't. I took apart of your life from you way too soon. If I were given a second chance, I'd have refused to bring you here.

You don't deserve what's going to happen to you. I don't deserve you. I know that since the second I met you, in that beautiful white dress.