Journey

Sneaking around was going to be harder than I thought.

           Since the wedding has been moved up to tomorrow, security around Jasmine is slightly tight so the guards aren't really worried about a former competitor sneaking off on her own little whim. Jasmine chose Harley for some quality girl time, so I quietly excuse myself after lunch to get the canister from Anna.

           We meet behind a large pillar near the kitchen, and still are slightly scared of the guards making their rounds again. She hands the silver canisters over and I can see her gaze trembling. "Please be careful," she watches as I put her steals inside my satchel. "For the love of all the Gods, don't get caught."

           "You worry too much," But even my voice shook a little with an uneven breath. "I'll be fine. Okay? I'll be back before you know it. This is Castiel's last day of freedom. I can't blow it and I can't lose." Anna held my hands before I pull her in for an embrace. She holds me tight. She smells like icing from working in the kitchens. "Stick to the plan . . . No matter what."

            Since the front door is an obvious trap, I find myself walking  in the direction of the library. Servants and kitchen staff alike are in a mad rush today to please their new almost-Queen. Not even the librarian notices as I quickly walk in, moving towards the back wall marked: HISTORY.

           Where was the book?

            I search and search through the high stacks of books and finally find the one I'm looking for: War of the Worlds — a regular enough looking first edition copy on the third shelf. I stand on tiptoes to attempt to pull it out, and jump back as the bookcase silently moves to reveal a secret passageway that Castiel pointed out on his handmade maps.

           But I wasn't alone anymore, and cold fear drips through my stomach. This is all over . . . "Oscar." His name feels breathy against my lips. "Wh-what are you doing here?" He'd notice the satchel hidden underneath my hoodie and this would all be over.

           I don't like the way Oscar smiles like that. "I think a better question would be what are you doing here?"

            "P-please, I promise I'll do anything you ask. Please don't tell her I was here."

            "Anything?" He raises an eyebrow.

           "Anything." I beg with finality in my tone.

           Oscar finally cracks into a smile. "Gods, Caverly. I'm just fucking with you. Did you actually think I was serious?" I take a step back, knowing that Oscar could still be on Jasmine's side, wanting to see what I'm up to. "Whatever you're planning, I want in. I can't just sit back and watch this tomorrow."

           "How can I trust you?"

            "That's a chance you're just going to have to take," Oscar says. "I wanted to see Jasmine be Queen. I really did. But I wanted her to be Queen with me by her side as her King. What she did to my best friend was wrong, and now they're about to force him into an arranged marriage and Xavier could be sent away. The Underworld will go to absolute shit soon if we don't stop her. She doesn't value my judgement anymore, and she thinks that she can do this alone and she can't. This place is so much bigger than her. Let me come with you."

           "She'll know you're missing. You can't come."

           "I wasn't asking."

            Against my better judgement, Oscar does leave the palace with me. As soon as I meet him in the darkness, the hidden doorway slides back into place and only the dimly lit torches along the wall guide us forward. Despite Oscar never before being on my side of things, it was nice to have someone else coming along. I should just knock him out, and leave him here in darkness.