08: First Choice

08:
First Choice
**************

Jasmine was waiting in my room later that night. Her eyes were narrowed, and she was half-laying against my bed. Tsk-tsk. "Where have you been, Ariel?"

Nervousness clouded my stomach, and a lump formed in my throat. Hades plan was fool-proof, and if it worked, I'd be guaranteed the throne, a position of employment or... Tartarus. I lied. "I was with Xavier."

Jasmine laughs a little, raising an eyebrow as she gets up from my bed. "Oh, yeah? I just saw Xavier with Angelique. You can't lie to me. That's strike one."

Strike One? I gulped, feeling the heat and the nervousness pressing against my stomach, twisting into knots. "What was Xavier doing with Angelique?" My cheeks felt warm, now. I glare at her.

"Working out their differences, I'd assume. So, tell me. Where were you?"

I decided to tell the truth. But only half the truth. "I was with my future father-in-law."

"Have you said anything about - "

"Of course not."

Of course I have. Once Hades pressed, I told him everything. I told him what Jasmine was planning to do, and everything that happened with Xavier. And then, Hades had done something that made my skin crawl.

He smiled.

Hades had already known about Jasmine. Karina and Angelique refused to say anything, and the other contestants had no idea what he was talking about. But I knew where my loyalties lay. I told Hades more than he needed to know (and that I knew what Angelique was planning to do with our bodies).

I felt free, like a new weight has been lifted from my chest and I could breath, again.

Xavier was in for minor punishment for relations with a contestant. I was in for minor punishment for lying. But both punishments would be postponed until after the bash was over.

Jasmine considers. "If Hades chooses to spare you punishment you deserve, I'll take you with me into Tartarus. I'll drag you with me, and the same goes for Karina. However, I know Karina will keep her mouth shut. Her life depends on it."

"Meet me tomorrow afternoon, hm? There'll be a few adjustments to the plan." With that, Jasmine goes and slams the door behind her.

My next visitor came just before midnight. I was half-asleep, bundled in bed wearing a gray sweater that was much too big for me. The knock came, and then, it came again.

I groan a little, reluctant to leave the warmth behind. I didn't bother putting pants on. The sweater covered very little of my thighs.

I open the door a little, seeing Xavier standing in the doorway. He looks nervous. "Ariel," he mutters, staring at my outfit, my legs. "D-Did I wake you?"

Crossing my arms over my chest, I lie. "No. Why?"

"Can I come in?" He asks. "It's urgent."

It's urgent. I didn't like the nervous Xavier. His attitude set my teeth on edge, and made my stomach turn. "I-I don't think that's a good idea. What is it, what's wrong?"

Despite telling him no, he pushed through anyway, and surprised me with a kiss. He pushed his lips on mine, touching my hips. But before I really melted into him, I bit his lip and Xavier jumps back.

I look out into the hall. No one. And shut the door. "What the hell were you thinking coming here?"

Xavier's eyes glitter with unfamiliar mischief. "I found a way to be with you after the competition. But you have to trust me on this choice, my dulce."