Sinful Envy and Betrayal

EDITED APRIL 2019

After breakfast, the Underworld Gods of Judgment were waiting for the six of us. They usually have their own plane of Judgment we would have been escorted to had we not been part of Castiel's competition.

          The three Gods are in the throne room, temporarily redesigned just for them. The throne room is huge and looming; huge amounts of drachmas are piled and stacked high with golden trinkets and drachmas and other belongings mortals sacrificed to Hades. Like everything else, the flooring is so clear and marble black that we can see our own reflection staring back at us along with the shimmering gold drachmas that provide natural light. The throne room is easily the biggest room in the entire Palace, with a dark glittering chandelier far above us, lacking any windows with only one door. There is a set of ten high steps that lead to (one newly added), glittering golden thrones with three wise and sophisticated men occupying them.

           All three look middle-aged; Kings, Gods, two sons of Zeus . . . their eyes hold boredom, interest, knowing.

           “Nervous, Caverly?” Jasmine is in line behind me. She carries herself with such pride and grace that it's hard to see the fear she's trying to hide. Jasmine's black dress trails along the floor behind her and I can't wait for them to Judge her. A girl like her was born and bound for Tartarus. “Don't be. Good girls like you won't be punished for a trivial life.”

           “Bad bitches get Tartarus,” I whisper. “do you think you can handle your afterlife?”

            Jasmine says nothing.

            We are all shuffled forward side by side and stand just before the stairwell, where we are immediately made to kneel and show our respect with our heads bowed. Being in the presence of those who will Judge us, I could feel the nervousness, anxiety and fear closing in on me. Castiel and Hades are the only two who dare to stand tall behind us.

           “You should have immediately brought these girls to us, Hades,” the middle said, darkness and authority laced in his voice. “What was the delay?” His dark eyes held wisdom, knowing and power. This man is one of the few that holds no fear in Hades' presence. He was wrapped in expensive looking silk Greek robes, and carried a glittering golden staff adorned with a ruby red jewel on top.

           “It was entirely my doing, Minos,” Hades admits. “I wanted you all to watch these girls for one more evening before you made your decisions. Nothing of the sort will ever happen again.”

            “It better not,” Minos says sternly. “keeping souls from Judgement would surely put yet another red mark on your record.” he readjusts himself, sitting slightly straighter to address the rest of us. “When I call your name, you'll step forward to bear witness to your guilty sin; whichever sin youre found guilty of will help us determine where you belong in the Underworld. My name is Minos, and brothers Rhadamanthys and Aeacus.”

           Aeacus is the keeper of keys in the Underworld. He's responsible for the Judgement of the Eastern part of the world while his brother — Rhadamanthys, ruler of Elysium — is responsible for the Western half; Minos ultimately decides our fate and being in their presence churns my insides. It almost feels like they know all of my secrets before they even leave my lips.

          I did my homework on them before coming this morning, and I feel honored to even be in their presence, even though Hades looks slightly annoyed.

           “Ariel Caverly.”

           I nervously get to my feet. Maybe they can see the thin bead of sweat that covers my forehead and underarms, maybe they can't. I wish they had air-conditioning down here. Trying to put on a brave face for them, I feel uncomfortable under the probing gaze of Aeacus and Minos.