Wings |wilbur&phil|

A/N: cross posted on AO3
Tw: small description of violence, mention of blood, explosion, sadness

"What are you doing Wil." Wilbur stopped speaking to himself as he heard a voice from behind him. It was familiar. The voice was safe and unlike the ones that screamed for destruction in his head. Nostalgic in a strange way.

The brunet turned around and was face to face with his father. Someone he hadn't seen in years. Since he started a nation and went through wars and hardship to get independence only to have it constantly ripped right out of his grasp.

"I've been here so many times Phil." Wilbur's voice was airy. Not in a mythological or ethereal way. In a way that wasn't present, Wilbur was talking but Wilbur wasn't actually speaking.

Wilbur didn't know when he stopped calling Philza 'dad'. Perhaps it was after Phil preferred adventuring and going to different hardcore worlds than spending an evening with his son. Wilbur didn't care anymore though, nothing mattered!

Nothing ever did matter. L'Manberg never mattered, at least not enough for it to be kept around. All the wars were for nothing in the end. Hurt and betrayal they faced was for nothing because in the end none of it matters.

"Mate where's your wings." A laugh broke through the room. Sad, broken, yet still amused. It was haunting and Phil wanted to cry hearing it. To see his own son that he hadn't spoken to in years like this was heart breaking.

When he had first walked into the room he had been thankful to see the familiar trench coat Wilbur had always loved. It was confusing when he saw the holes were wings would normal be, were stitched up and nonexistent now. The blond knew in the back of his mind what happened though he couldn't accept it. There had to be a funny way to explain that the younger's wings were just inside the trench coat, possible hidden from view. Phil could cling onto that small bit of hope for as long as he wanted. It would never dull the sting and ache in his hearts when the next words left his sons mouth.

"They were chopped clean off! Suppose you wouldn't have known though." Wilbur's grin wasn't the warm smile Phil had come to know over the years of raising him. This was different. It was broken and delusional just like Wilbur.

*Flashback*
"Let's have a talk Wilbur. Just me and you." Wilbur recalled the man saying. He remembered how he agreed and went inside L'manbergs walls willingly with this man.

His wings dragged behind him but never touched the ground once. Wilbur hated getting his wings dirty.

"What do you have to say- WHAT THE FUCK!" Wilbur yelled as he was pinned to the ground. He tried moving his wings but the man held them in an uncomfortable position.

"How badly do you want independence?" The mans words still haunted Wilbur to this day. The brunet recalled telling the man he would do anything.

Wilbur remembered regretting saying that as the man sliced off his wings. He swore all of DreamSMP and L'Manberg could hear his pained scream. He had passed out soon enough because of the pain but had heard one thing before the world faded to black.

"This is the price for independence."
*End of flashback*

The older felt like he couldn't move. Wilbur had to have been joking. Having your wings cut off was the most painful thing winged hybrids ever experienced (unless it was a medical procedure in which they are numb). No one should ever have to go through that. It was physically and physiologically damaging. Winged hybrids are blessed to be able to fly and feel the freedom of the air where no troubles are. To have that ripped away from you is heartbreaking.

"I'm so sorry." The blond finally chocked out. He expected tears or a scream or anything sort of reaction but all Wilbur did was force a laugh on his insane face before going emotionless.

"A little late too late for that." He felt oh so guilty that he wasn't there for his son in a hard time. If he had tried to reach out, maybe, just maybe Wilbur would still have his wings. Maybe Wilbur would be happy and mentally stable.

"It was never meant to be." Wilbur reached and finally pushed the button. The wood felt cold and damp beneath his fingers. For a split second there was hesitation. Phil saw it and Wilbur felt it. There was a moment in time were he had his doubts about blowing it all up. It was all gone as Wilbur turned back to his father.

The hissing on tnt went and Phils eyes went wide as how close it sounded. Wilbur did not move, he only stared as Phil ran and coved Wilbur with his wings. The wall behind them opened up and stone and gravel pushed against Phils wings painfully.

Silence. There was no screaming after it ended, only silence and silent cries. Phil stood up, his wings limp. The blond looked at his son in worry and Wilbur stared back as a grin grew on his face.

"KILL ME PHIL! Killza! Do it everyone wants you too!" Wilbur passed the sword to Phil and stared at him with his arms open wide. The brunet had served his purpose, he didn't care what became of him now (that's what he wanted everyone to think). Wilbur knows everyone hates him now. Truthfully a lot of them hated him before. What would it matter if he died? It wouldn't.

"You're my son!" That's what Phil had said. Right before he finally plunged the sword into the younger mans stomach. That's what Phil said before he sang his son to sleep for the last time.

How Phil wished Wilbur's eyes would come back to the old Wilbur he had known. But the look of insanity stayed until his last breath. Wilbur didn't get to hear the end of he song ever, but Phil still finished it. Phil remembered how when Wilbur was younger he would hate it if Phil didn't finish the song. No matter how much it hurt him, he kept singing until it was done.

Living with Techno was peaceful. The snow was beautiful and the cottage was away from any problems. The problems always seemed to follow though no matter how far anyone got from them.

"The potions aren't doing anything." Techno said. He sounded tired, Phil realized. No fucking duh his brother just died, Phil thought to himself. He tuned back into what Techno was saying and caught the words amputate, and Dream can help. The bird hybrid nodded at Techno before going to find Dream.

The masked man was everywhere. Once Phil left the cottage he found Dream walking towards it. The masked man offered a wave in which Phil returned.

"Techno said you could help me." Phil quickly explained his situation with his wings as Dream nodded and told him to go to the clearing in the forest near the house. The blond nodded and went no questions asked.

Phil sat on a log in the clearing, his wings limp and frappes behind him. He hasn't been able to move him since the explosion. Not like he would have wanted to anyways (totally not because he would think about it how much he misses flying with Wilbur).

Dream met up with Phil a few minutes later. This time he carried a brief case. He set it beside the log Phil was sitting on and handed the blond a potion that was lavender in colour.

"Drink it. It will numb the pain." The masked man said calmly as if he wasn't about to cut someone's wings off. Phil swiftly drank the potion and hummed. It had a sweeter flavour, like honey. The after taste was ashy, maybe soot like however. Very unpleasant in the end.

Dream worked efficiently and quickly. Phil was glad he couldn't feel or see it. He imagined it not to be pleasant. The feeling of a liquid dripping down his back was uncomfortable. What was worse was how light he felt. Either from the bit of blood loss or from the loss of his wings. His body felt like it was missing something. Everything felt wrong.

"How'd you know how to do that mate?" Phil asked as Dream was almost done packing his stuff up. Dream had already put bandages on Phils back and was ready to leave now. He needed to talk to Techno.

"I had to do it once before." A fool could hear the smirk in Dreams voice. The masked man walked away and Phil sat there confused. What did he mean by that? Oh.

Oh. That bastard. Phil felt a tear roll down his face. Techno and himself were working with the man who put Wilbur through so much. He was allying with the man who took an important part of Wilbur. Wilbur had worked with the man who ruined his life.

Phil just let Dream cut off two pairs of wings from the same family.