Chapter 1: Year One (updated 09/10/22)

"Kendra!" your mom yells, "Grab your belongings, we'll be late for the train

"Kendra!" your mom yells, "Grab your belongings, we'll be late for the train."

It was your first year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and you were a bouncing ball of excitement and nerves. Both of your parents went to Hogwarts, so you grew up hearing stories about it and you couldn't wait to attend the school yourself. The day your letter arrived was the best day of your life, until today... But now you needed to finish packing your belongings into your trunk and somehow manage to get your cat, Pluto, into his cage. 

"Come on, little Aquila" your father called from the car. He had given you the nickname "Aquila" which means eagle, because he was a bit bird obsessed, his animagus form was an eagle, and he hoped some day you'd follow in his footsteps by becoming an animagus as well. "Coming dad!" You yelled as you grabbed your trunk and Pluto's cage and ran for the car.

You grew up in Surrey, so it was a relatively short drive into London to catch the Hogwarts Express from King's Cross Station. You arrived at the station and noticed a few other kids carrying trunks and caged animals heading for platform 9 3/4. You watched in awe as a few of them passed seamlessly through the portal to the platform and took a deep breath as your mum looked down at you, placed a hand on your shoulder, and asked "Are you ready?"

Here we go, Kendra, this is it! I'm finally headed to Hogwarts!  You took one final deep breath and walked through the portal and onto the platform. After your parents followed you through the portal, you looked up at them and smiled with pride, only to notice your mum tearing up. 

"Mum!" you said, slightly embarrassed. "I'm just going to school, I'll see you in a couple months."

"I love you so much, sweetie, be good!" your mum said with a quivering voice as she embraced you in a warm hug.

"We expect owls, little Aquila, and good grades" said your father. He gave you a quick hug and sent you on your way.

You boarded the train and decided to change into your school robes immediately, you were too excited and didn't want to wait until you were arriving at school to get changed. They were the standard grey robes all the first years had and you wondered if you'd be sorted into Ravenclaw like both of your parents. After changing, you started looking for a compartment to sit in. You passed a few with older students laughing and chatting until you found a compartment with some extra space. You heard a cheerful voice call out "there's room in here!" The voice came from a bubbly, blonde girl with braids in her hair, she was sitting next to another girl with dark skin, dark hair, and glasses.

"I'm Penny! This is Rowan. We just met on the train. We're both first years like you" Penny supplied, Rowan looked at you and smiled a shy little smile.

"How did you know I'm a first year? Is it that obvious?" you asked, a bit taken aback.

"Your robes, they're just grey, like mine, no house colours. What is your name?"