Chapter 3: Year Four, Autumn (updated 09/10/22)

Your fourth year at Hogwarts started much the same as the previous years, you boarded the Hogwarts Express and looked for your friends. You found Tonks sitting alone in a compartment and joined her.

"Wotcher, Kendra!"

"Hi Tonks, where is everyone?"

"I think they are still boarding the train and getting settled."

"Hiya girls!" said Penny as she joined the two of you in the compartment a few minutes later. 

"Hi Penny!" you exclaimed as you threw your arms around your best friend and hugged her tightly. 

"Get a room you two!" laughed Tonks.

Penny took a seat next to you and started talking about the potions she worked on during the summer and the new cauldron her father bought her.

"Any room in here for me and a case of dung bombs?" Tulip said as she entered the compartment. She immediately sat down next to Tonks and started plotting when and where they were going to use the smelly devices.

"Merlin, the train seems to get more and more crowded every year" huffed Rowan as she finally made her way to the compartment and took her seat next to you.

The rest of the train ride the five of you caught up on what happened over the summer. Tulip went to Japan to visit some muggle family members, Rowan worked on her parents' tree farm and read all of the year four books from start to finish, Tonks went to France for a week, and Penny worked on her potions. It was good to be back and with your friends.

***

"Can I talk to you during lunch?" Penny asked during your shared history of magic class.

"Of course, what is it about? Anything important?"

"It's Talbott" she answered and didn't say anything further. The rest of class your mind raced. What could it be?  You really hadn't seen much of Talbott since he helped you become an animagus the previous year. Maybe he really does have a crush on Penny and he finally told her. Maybe she wants relationship advice, but why would she ask me, it's not like I've ever had a boyfriend. You looked around the classroom to see if you could read Talbott, but then you realized he wasn't there. I know history of magic is boring, but it's not like Talbott to skip classes. Then again, what do I really know about him, other than him being an unregistered animagus?

You joined Penny at the Hufflepuff table during lunch, hoping that you wouldn't get caught by any of the teachers, although they seemed much more lax about the house table rules during breakfast and lunch.

"Thanks for coming" Penny said. You saw worry on her face and suspected it wasn't Talbott's crush on her that she wanted to discuss.

"Is everything ok Penny, you look worried."

"It's just.... Talbott's been skipping classes and that's not like him. I tried to catch him after class yesterday but he just vanished into the crowd. I don't know... Maybe he didn't hear me call out to him, but I think something is wrong."

"Why are you telling me? I haven't spoken to him since last year. He and Andre are friends, right?"

"Yeah, kind of, but I asked and he hasn't said anything to Andre. Plus Andre has quidditch practice this afternoon so he is busy. I thought maybe you could talk to him."

"Again, why me Penny? I'm sure he would talk to you, the two of you are friends. I'm not so sure he would confide in me if something is wrong."

"He likes you." You laughed at the absurdity of her comment, but she quickly shot you an icy glare, which was very unlike her. Penny is nothing but smiles, so you figured this Talbott thing must be really worrying her. "I'm serious, Kendra. I know the two of you got along last year, besides I promised Snape I'd help tutor some first years in potions this afternoon. Please?"