Chapter 4: Year Four, Winter (updated 09/10/22)

The autumn term was slowly winding down and it was only a couple of weeks before the Christmas break

The autumn term was slowly winding down and it was only a couple of weeks before the Christmas break. Most of the students were starting to lose their focus in class, including yourself. You and Rowan were giggling madly as Penny joined you for your walk to herbology class.

"What are you girls laughing about?" Penny asked.

"Rowan's crush on Bill Weasley!" you shouted.

"Not so loud, Kendra, he'll hear you!" Rowan said as she glared at you.

"I'm pretty sure he already knows, Rowan. You practically have hearts in your eyes every time you see him!" you responded with a little laugh. "And what about you Penny? Do you have a crush on anyone?" Penny's cheeks flushed a little. "I knew it! And I think I know who it is." You tried to sound upbeat, but inside you died a little. Talbott. It's gotta be Talbott. I know he likes her.

"Doubtful" Penny said. "I don't think it's anyone you would suspect, he's my complete opposite." Like Talbott? You're outgoing, he's shy. You're bubbly, he's moody.  Penny interrupted your train of thought, "Anyway, what about you Kendra? I think it's pretty obvious who you have a crush on!"

"What? I don't have a crush. Wait, do you mean Bill? He's just my friend. You know that crush ended ages ago. He's all Rowan's now," you said with a giggle.

"Thanks?" Rowan replied a bit sarcastically.

"That's not who I meant," said Penny and she shot you a knowing glance.

"I don't know what you're talking about" you said nervously before you darted into the greenhouse.

What is Penny talking about? She doesn't know anything, I mean, how could she? I've never said anything about my crush on Talbott to anyone and I only helped Talbott last month because SHE asked me to. Anyway, it's obvious they have crushes on each other. Penny really needs to let this go.

***

"So, this not-so-mysterious crush of yours, Kendra" Penny said as she ran to join you after Herbology class. "I think he has a crush on you too."

"What? I.. You don't even know who it is." You could feel your cheeks turning bright red. "Besides, I'm pretty sure he likes someone else." 

"You never know unless you ask!" she said with a wink. Penny practically followed you into your potions class trying to convince you to ask your crush out before you reminded her that she, in fact, had transfigurations this period. She giggled loudly as she walked away.

"What was that about?" Andre asked after watching you push your best friend out of the classroom.

"Nothing" you laughed as you joined Badeea, Rowan, Talbott, and Andre at your table.

You set your belongings on the desk and glanced up to see Talbott's amber eyes staring straight into yours. He smiled and you quickly looked away blushing. Is Penny right? I did spend more time with Talbott last month than our previous three years combined... and he has started opening up more... I mean, I always thought he liked Penny, but...