Chapter 2: Year Three (updated 09/10/22)

"What do you think?" Penny asked

"What do you think?" Penny asked. "Merlin, Kendra, where are you? You're always away with the fairies, you know that?"

"Sorry Pen, I was just worried about the potions test next week" you answered, snapping your focus back on your friend.

"What do you think I was talking about? Honestly, Kendra, if you daydream like this in potions, it's no wonder you struggle" she laughed. "Anyway, I wanted to practice making the animagus potion to challenge myself and wanted to know if you'd be willing to try it."

"That's really advanced Penny, where did you even learn to brew it?"

"I've read every potions book I can get my hands on and I've even talked Snape into giving me extra potions lessons."

"Well if anyone can brew a successful animagus potion, it's you Pen" you chuckled "Besides, I've always wanted to become an animagus like my dad! He would be so excited if I became one like him."

"I just need to get one last ingredient, but in the meantime, I want you to talk to my friend Talbott, he's brilliant at transfigurations and knows a lot about animagi."

"Merlin, Penny! You know everyone! How is it that you are friends with Talbott? You know he's in my  house, right? And I don't think I've said more than 10 words to the guy."

Penny just laughed at your remark. "I'll see if he can meet you after herbology."

Herbology was your last class of the day and it was a joint class for Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. Usually you partnered with Penny and Tonks, but Penny wanted to put her plan into action, so she partnered with Talbott and Andre. You looked over at Penny and Talbott occasionally wondering how the nicest, most outgoing, and most popular witch in your year was friends with the quietest, most introverted wizard. Maybe he has a crush on her. At one point, Talbott caught you looking their direction and he quickly rolled his eyes at you, it wasn't the most promising start to Penny's plan. But soon enough the class ended and Penny ran over to talk to you while you were still packing up your things. 

"He'll meet you in the courtyard before dinner!" Penny chimed, almost too excited.

"Really? He didn't look all that excited when you were talking to him during class."

"Don't worry about it, Talbott puts up a wall and may look tough, but he's actually really nice and thoughtful" Penny reassured.

"Ok, but when this goes south, I'm blaming you!" you laughed.

The two of you walked out of the greenhouse, arms linked, giggling.

***

You were in your dorm room getting ready to meet Talbott and couldn't shake the weird twisting feeling in your stomach. You weren't as popular as Penny, but you were just as nice and had no problem making friends. So why did this quiet boy have such a strong effect on you? I mean, yeah, he's kind of cute, in a weird loner kind of way, but I've never said more than a few words to him, and now I'm supposed to have an entire conversation with him about animagi?  What is Penny thinking?  You fixed your robes, ran your hands through your hair, and took a deep breath. Here goes nothing.