Chapter 13: Autumn of 1991 (updated: 09/10/22)

**note: according to the timeline of the HPHM game, the students would have left Hogwarts in the summer of 1991. This chapter will take place the months following graduation.

***

After graduating from Hogwarts, Penny moved down to Tinworth in Cornwall to start working as the head potioneer at J. Pippin's Potions. Even though you had decided to move to Cornwall with Penny, you thought it would be nice to visit your parents for a couple of weeks before moving. It was late one afternoon and you were in your parents' garden, enjoying the summer sun. You saw an osprey land on a nearby tree and it reminded you of Talbott and to be honest, all birds reminded you of Talbott. There were a few times over the last two weeks that you thought about writing to him, but you ultimately decided not to. Talbott had wanted to become an auror for as long as you could remember and now that he was finally training to become one, you thought it best not to be any kind of distraction. That Saturday you packed up your belongings and caught the train down to Cornwall. Tinworth was a mixed community of muggles and magical folk alike. The high street featured many muggle stores, but also J. Pippin's Potions, the apothecary where Penny was working, Flourish and Blotts, the book shop where you would be working part time, the local branch of Wizarding World News, Twilfitt & Tattings, the clothing shop, Dervish and Banges, a wizarding equipment shop, and a pub called the Welsh Green.

"So this is it?" you asked Penny as you arrived at the cottage.

"Yes, it's so cute, right?" Penny beamed as she unlocked the door and swung it open. The cottage sat on a tiny road just off the high street and overlooked the bay. There were two small bedrooms, a cosy reception room, a decent sized kitchen, which Penny insisted on so she could practice her potions, and a small back garden. Penny helped you bring your trunks inside and you started to look around. You found your room and immediately set Pluto's cage on the bed so you could let him out to explore.

"It is really cute Penny" you said as you returned to join her in the reception room "and it's so close to the high street, it'll be a quick walk to get to work."

"I knew you'd love it! And before you know it, you'll be writing for Wizarding World News!"

"I don't know about that, but I definitely won't mind spending my days at Flourish and Blotts for now" you said with a smile. 

You spent the rest of the evening unpacking your trunks and settling into your new home. It was cosy and you were excited to start your new life here in Cornwall. You pulled some pictures out of your bag and started hanging them on the wall. There was a picture of you and all of your friends on graduation day, a picture of Rowan, who you missed terribly, a picture of you, Penny, Tonks, and Tulip, and a picture of you and Talbott. You smiled watching the picture version of Talbott hugging and kissing the picture version of you, you missed him but knew that going your separate ways was best for now.

***

"That was so much fun! I miss drinking butterbeer with our friends at the Three Broomsticks, but the Welsh Green makes for a good local down here in Cornwall" Penny said as the two of you left the pub and started heading down the street toward your cottage.

"I agree, and their butterbeer is almost as good!"

"Yes, their butterbeer is good, but the gigglewater.... hiccough!"

"I think you had too many gigglewaters, Penny! You know it's just enchanted champagne, right?"

"No. It's gigglewater! And I didn't have too many" she protested, then tripped and fell to the ground. You laughed at your friend as you offered her your hand to help her up. Penny reached for your hand then flung it toward the sky "Kendra! NOOO!" You turned to see where Penny was pointing and saw a dementor floating down toward the two of you.