Chapter 6: Year Four, Summer (updated: 09/10/22)

The spring semester was quickly coming to an end

The spring semester was quickly coming to an end. You had spent the last couple of months getting to know Talbott even better. The two of you would have study sessions in the library, you'd help Talbott with his dueling practice in the dungeons, and you would occasionally sneak out to the edge of the woods and transform into your animagus forms. Talbott wasn't your boyfriend, but he was becoming your best friend. Yes of course you loved Penny, Rowan, and Tonks, but you could be yourself with Talbott and you told him things that you hadn't told anyone else. He also confided in you. You loved hearing stories about his parents, his life outside of Hogwarts, and his dreams about the future.

One afternoon, after an especially difficult potions class, Talbott asked you to join him down by the lake.

"Did I ever tell you about how Penny and I became friends?" he asked.

"No, I don't think so. I just assumed she forced her friendship on you like I did" you said with a laugh.

"Sort of, I guess, but no. You know I want to become an auror after school? Well, McGonagall knows too. When I told her that I was struggling with potions, she told me that I should ask Penny for help. I think she knew I wouldn't ask her, so the next day Penny came up to me and told me that Professor McGonagall told her that I needed help in potions. She still helps me now if there is a particularly hard potion I'm struggling with."

"Haha, Penny does love potions" you said with a smile. And to think, all that time I thought Talbott and Penny had crushes on each other, but she was just tutoring him in potions...

The two of you sat in silence for a bit, just watching the wind push little ripples across the lake. But that was the thing about Talbott, you could be with him in silence for hours and it would never be awkward. Something about him felt comfortable, like home.

"What about you, Kendra, what do you want to do after Hogwarts?"

"I don't know. I like transfigurations and charms, but I also really like to write. Didn't your dad write for the Daily Prophet?"

"Yes..." Talbott was always a little sad when he talked about his parents, but he never shut you out when you asked about them. 

"Tell me more about him."

"His name was William. He would read to me all the time when I was little and he loved writing. I think that's part of the reason I write poetry, because of his influence."

You immediately turned your gaze to Talbott and in surprise asked "You write poetry?"

"Yes, it's not very good though. My dad had some of my poems published in the Prophet when I was younger. I can't believe he did that." Talbott laughed a bit at the memory.

"Obviously I want to read some of your poetry."

"I told you it's not that good."

"I don't care. I want to read it."