8|All is Fair in Love

After the terrible nightmares Abraxas had, images of himself killing on Riddle's accord, he was eager to be awake

By first lesson, he was eager to see a friendly face. Someone who did not view him a monster. Though as he entered the Potions classroom, Hermione Granger was nowhere to be seen. At current he was confused if the witch was infuriated with Riddle, rightfully so, or fancied him. The two had a chemistry Abraxas found both unnerving and unusual.

Though he knew the way the girl was intriguing. She knew quite a deal, something that Riddle made clear was the reason he never left her side. Though Abraxas couldn't help but think she was simply beautiful. That was the reason they all liked her. Or her kindness. How could one not?

His day was boring, dreadfully until he entered the greenhouse. His stomach turned when Granger appeared, saw him, and immediately set her things down across from him.

He smiled kindly and she returned it before setting to work. She herself seemed to be thinking of something else. Though he didn't dare inquire.

About halfway through the period they were working with a particularly difficult plant.

"How did you do that?" Abraxas asked struggling to cut the roots off.

"With the pliers" she said absently handing him the set she was using.

"Thanks." He took them, eyeing her carefully. She very much seemed distracted.

"Sure-" He watched as her eyes glanced around the room, as though looking for someone. When her sights returned to him, he dropped his gaze to the plant, pretending to be working solely on the task, and not watching her. "Hey Malfoy?"

"Hmmm?" He asked looking up from the plant. He tried to sound innocent. He tried to mask how much her seeking his attention affected him. He forced his eyes to be uninvolved, simply curious of her want.

"Has Riddle shown up to any of his other lessons?" She leaned forward, whispering the question that he knew she had been considering now for a long time. It was who she had been looking for. Riddle.

Then his stomach tightened once more. For a moment he scorned himself to believe he was anything to Hermione Granger, other than one to gain information about Riddle. Clearly, as much as she actively despised Tom Riddle, she was insanely attracted. He knew better.

"Yeah, except this one--and well potions this morning." He answered truthfully. Then he remembered she had been absent as well, and feeling rather daring made the comment, "Come to think of it you weren't in potions this morning." His tone was light, though it could be recognized as pointed.

She hesitated, her silence confirming she had been with Riddle. "Oh right, I had a meeting with professor Dumbledore."

Was she lying? He decided it did not matter. His own curiosity would end up to his disadvantage one day, so he simply wished to be of help. He could use a friend. "Don't worry you didn't miss much, we just took notes. If you want you could copy mine."