the serpent | 21

BLAISE

BLAISE

Octavio had returned to his room after finishing his breakfast. I soon retreated to the living room after finishing myself. Picking up the book from the side table, I flipped through the pages absentmindedly.

Words after words and sentences after sentences, nothing seemed to make sense. With a sigh, I closed the book and placed it back onto the surface of the table. The ringing on my phone was the only thing that caught my attention as I saw that my dad's assistant was calling.

"Hello," I answered.

"Good morning Blaise," Diwa answered back as I waited for her to continue.

"I was actually calling you tonight to see if you can attend the event in the Great Academy Hall tonight. Your father was originally the one attending the event, but I would love for you to go instead to keep his promise with the counsel."

"Is it necessary?" I asked, knowing that going to the event would mean answering questions regarding my late father.

"I wouldn't have called if it wasn't."

"What time is it?" I questioned with a sigh.

"It will be 7 tonight, but you could leave whenever you once have made your appearance." She says in her monotone voice.

"Alright, I will be there. Thank you Diwa."

"Not a problem, take care." With that being said, the line on the other end went dead. I pulled the phone away from my ear and dropped it beside me on the couch.

Glancing at the clock promoted on the cream walls of the living room, I knew I had to let Octavio know of the event tonight beforehand. With a hazy mind, I got up from the couch and walked down the hall towards the guest rooms.

It was just two days ago when I was walking down the same corridor yet I still felt like I was intruding in someone else's territory. It was funny as I lived in this house as long as I knew and despite that fact, it still feels like I'm a guest in someone's house.

Before I knew it, I came in front of his door once again. Except for being slightly ajar like it is usually kept by him, it was shut closed. I brought my fist to the wooden door and waited a slight moment before knocking on the door.

There was no answer from the other side of the door. Knocking on the door once again, I waited patiently. When no one still answered, I hesitantly went to open the door myself.

But, before I could open the door, it swung open. I stepped back a few paces just in case and glanced at Octavio.

"Hey, sorry I didn't mean to disturb you." I said as he didn't say anything.

"Is everything okay," He finally asked as he walked into the hall along with me.

"Yeah, everything is fine. But, I just came to tell you that we have an event to attend at the Great Academy Hall for my father."