the serpent | 30

OCTAVIO

OCTAVIO

When one searches up what love is you would simply come up with something along the lines of an "intense feeling of great affection or pleasure". As long as I could remember, love never was a part of me. From the kisses on my forehead from my mother to the cradling of fingers of my baby sister, it never existed. But, I knew it had to be pleasurable when so many people begged for it.

Emotions are the radical reactions of humans to specific scenarios. Agny comes from despair, tears come from pain, and love? Love comes from what people say, miracles.

What use is this love when it only brings you tears and pain. What use is this love when it makes you debate your whole existence on the bathroom floor at two in the morning while holding onto a kitchen knife. Life was never meant for us humans to survive through love, because only lovers like Romeo and Juliet knew the tragedies that followed.

"Welcome Octavio." My gaze split up from the office floor to the aging man in front of me. His blue eyes are now void of emotions after several years of service and even worse experiences.

I nodded my head before coming closer to his desk where a file was already neatly ready for my taking.  It was a negotiation for Blaise, and I already knew that she would agree to it.

"How's it going?" I knew this was small talk towards the bigger question screwing with his mind right now. He also knew he would never get the honest answer from me.

"Good." He only hums in response as I grab the file from the wooden desk to read through. He watches me closely as I rake my fingers through each term and condition printed on.

"You could only continue if she signs it." He adds.

"She will." I answer back before shutting the file close and looking up at him.

"I know she will." And I knew by simply those words of his that he was not a fool to have not noticed the tiny shift in my posture and the filter of softness growing in my dark green eyes. He knew it was all because of her.

"I'll report back to you in two weeks." I say, ignoring his last sentence. I turn around to leave but before I could leave his office, he makes sure to leave his taunt hanging by the noose.

"A man like you isn't easy to break Octavio and I hate to be wrong about my own men."

"Maybe you haven't noticed, chief. Everyone here is already broken." Broken soldiers, broken hearts, and broken souls made the best killing machines... and I was one of them.

~

You know the feeling when unease slips through your guts like spilling acid. Or when it feels like someone let loose a bladed carousel in your mind that was now distorting you from thinking straight. That feeling was exactly the same as I pulled up outside the house after leaving the headquarters.

The usually brightened entryway was pitch black and the once blooming flowers looked like ones you would drape over a grave of your loved one. The scene felt out of place from the usual brightened vibe it carried and I knew something had happened while I was not present.

My hands instinctively went for my gun that was latched on the inside of my jacket and my heart pounded to know if my mind was playing tricks.

Getting out of the car silently, I rooted my steps towards the back entryway hoping whatever that had happened didn't leave a horrifying scene behind. I shouldn't have left her alone, not when I wasn't around.

My steps halted at the back door as I quickly analyzed the broken lock that was stained with red fingerprints which I could only assume were coated in someone's blood. My mind continued to play its trickery as I thought about Blaise's blood being on someone's hands. The blood of the woman I was supposed to be protecting.

My mind grew numb as I opened the door to only find streaks of blood on the marble white floor, such a contrast. It can't be her, I chanted in my mind as I slipped further into the darkened house.

The silence was deafening, and I wondered if they had only come to leave a mess behind for me to clean up for the rest of my life. Before I could coax my mind any further, a dark figure on the floor caught my eye. The body laid too still, and I knew exactly what that meant. Death.

The tangy stench of blood filled the hall as I approached the body too slowly. I was afraid. If it was her then I knew this fear would be lethal.

Finally coming near the figure, I knew it was a woman. Her hair silky straight and her head leaked a massive puddle of blood on the floor from what can only be a broken skull. Turning her body slowly, I groaned when I saw the carvings done on her chest in blade.

"Fuck." I cursed, knowing this was way worse than we all imagined. Diwa was dead and the killer was on the loose.

Her chest covered in one single bloody sentence, saying she would be next.

My fingers pressed next to her broken neck to check the pulse, with no doubt there was none found. I laid her dead body delicately back down on the floor, before raking my gaze around to find my girl. Whoever that had killed Diwa made sure to leave Blaise as a loose end and before I found her there was no way of finding why.

"Fucken hell." I groaned as I rummaged through each room, looking for her in one of them.

As I opened the door to my bedroom, I instantly dropped my gun next to her body on my bed. Her tear stricken face had grown pale as she might have fallen into unconsciousness while she laid in nothing but her panties.

"No no no baby." I grew hazy as I went to untie her hands from my bedpost that had grown purple from the lack of circulation.

Her neck was bruised from whoever went on to her and the slope of her stomach was growing a nasty color of violet. I instantly pulled her into my arms as her limp body slugged onto mine. I let her go and this was my fault. Her skin was ice cold as I pulled the sheets from the bed onto her, wishing I could just take away all of her pain.

"I'm so sorry." I cried as I pulled her off the bed.

"Now now where do you think you're going, Octavio?" My steps instantly halted as I latched onto my gun with the girl that was mine in my arms.

. . .
(Unedited chapter)
Someone tell me why I end up writing chapters at the weirdest places, but anyways I'm sorry the chapter got published late. I literally had no motivation till now, but love you! And don't come at me for not having it edited, I'm tired.

author instagram | j_iris_grace
twitter | jirisgrace
email | eroticairisgrace@gmail.com
facebook | jazmine iris grace
radish | JazmineIrisGrace

J. Iris Grace

please vote and comment!